15 foods Not To Refrigerate
Getting down to the truth of the matter
As a child growing up, there were certain foods I noticed that my parents always keep refrigerated and I thought this was the right thing they were doing only to discover years later that these same foods should have been stored outside of the refrigerator to preserve for future use.
In this article, we will be discussing why certain foods should be kept away from the refrigerator.
15 Foods not to refrigerate
Here is a list of foods that may surprise you that are best keep unrefrigerated
1. Tomatoes– should be kept on the counter because chilled tomatoes can lose it flavors and firmness. Unripe tomatoes can also be kept on the kitchen counter or windowsill to reach full ripeness.
2. Garlic– is a herb that has such a wonderful flavor and can add that WOW to about any dish. Allowing garlic to chill can reduce its effeteness as far as flavor is a concern. Garlic should be kept in a place that is dry and cool.
3. Honey– is a natural sweetener that is enjoyed worldwide, this sweet liquid gold has many health benefits. Keeping honey refrigerated will cause it to become hard and not that pleasant to the taste. To preserve this sweet liquid gold store at room temperatures such as kitchen cabinets, cupboards, and pantries.
4. Avocados– are one of my favorites but avocados should be kept at room temperature because if allowed to chill for a long time avocados will lose its rich color and will begin to turn black and will get mushy.
5. Onions– goes great in soups, salads and so on But once onions are cut and place in the fridge they will lose some of their favor along with becoming mushy. If you must store onions in the fridge place them in a baggy. Make sure no air is in the baggy, place baggy in the vegetable pan.
6. Potatoes– flavor is best preserved when keeping at room temperature levels. The chill from the refrigerator can destroy the flavor and if allowed to store in the refrigerator for a long time can cause potatoes to get mushy.
7. Thyme– should be kept in a dry place because thyme losses its flavors when it is chilled, also the leaves will dry out.
8. Rosemary– is a herb that I love because of its strong flavors but
chilling rosemary can destroy the taste. This herb is best chilled at room temperature, to keep its flavor store on the kitchen counter.
9. Nuts– are you nuts over nuts. Nuts should be stored in an airtight container to preserve its freshness and flavors. Chilled nuts will not only lose its flavors but can become stale and the taste will just be unappealing.
10. Strawberries are great to add to those mouth-watering desserts but allowing these fruits to chill for a long time can cause them to become soggy and lose their flavor. It is best not to let them sit for too long.
11. Bananas– are a popular fruit that is mostly eaten at breakfast time either by itself, pancakes, cereals, and so on.
But keeping bananas in the fridge can cause it not only to lose it flavors but the banana will begin to turn black including the skin. Chilling bananas will also slow down the ripening process.
It is best to keep bananas on the kitchen counter where the room temperature is just right.
12. Pineapples– taste pretty awesome when chilled, here in the Bahamas where I live, the pineapple fruit is used to make a delicious dessert that is called pineapple tart along with many other treats that would excite your taste buds.
But keeping unripened pineapple in the refrigerator will slow down the ripening process. It is best to store pineapple at room temperature, once ripen slice and chilled for a refreshing delight.
13. Peaches– are best kept at room temperature until ripened. There are many varieties of peaches that makes this fruit so amazing. Peaches are also used for many sweet treats. After they have ripened, peaches can be refrigerated.
14. Melons– are pretty refreshing doing those hot summer months. Melons have also been listed among foods that can keep the body hydrated. Though melons taste great when chilled, if melons are allowed to be kept for a long time in the refrigerator melons will not only lose some of its flavors but it will also become mushy.
Unripe melons should be kept at room temperature in order to ripen. Places like the kitchen and breakfast counter or even the kitchen table will do just fine.
15. Basil– the flavor of basil is just out of this world. I have used this herb for years and enjoyed every minute of it because basil has such a unique flavor that it can add that, WOW to just about any dish.
But keeping basil in the refrigerator will not only destroy the flavor but will also cause basil to wilt. keeping your basil at room temperature and in about an inch of water will go a long way in preserving this herb.
These are just a few of many foods to store at room temperature preserving them so you can benefit the most from what they have to offer by enjoying their aromas, flavors, and vitamins.