Using Plants to Clean Water
I have written two posts thus far concerning ponds. One on creating a fish pond and the other on cleaning your fish pond. In this article, however, we will be looking at how to purify your pond water naturally by adding plants. A fish pond adds a touch of class to our landscape and gardens as we discuss
One of the main features of having a pond is seeing and enjoy your colorful friends as they swim gracefully by, there are plants that can help us to accomplish this. Can you imagine having a pond that is murky and blurry you won’t be able to enjoy it?
How does this all work with plants?
How does this all work with plants? I am glad that you asked. Ponds can and do collect an abundance of nutrients, when there is a buildup of nutrients algae develops when this happens pond water tends to turn from clear to murky and blurry, algae also depletes ponds oxygen and this is not good for pond life. Also, the decomposition of plants and other organic material that gets in the water can add to pond water needing to be purified.
But the good news is there are plants that can help us. These plants have the ability to feed on or absorb nutrients from the water causing water to become much more clear and clean.
Aquatic plants that purify water
What is so amazing about plants is that plants serve us in so many ways from food use, medicine, to purify the air that we breathe. Here are a few links that talks about the benefit of plants. Cleaning the air that you breathe. Health benefits of plants.
List of plants
1. Waterweed -makes a good aquatic plant, Waterweed purifies water by feeding on or absorbing nutrients.
2. Water lilies- also know as the floating plant adds a unique look to your pond while purifying it. To learn more about water lilies follow this link. creating a lily pond. Water lilies also provide shade for pond life as well as blocking out sunlight in the pond. This is an effective way to control algae.
3. Iris- is a very beautiful plant with long narrow leaves and yellow flowers. Iris also helps to clean the pond by absorbing nutrients.
4. Water lotus- is a beautiful flowering plant that helps to purify the water at the bottom of the pond. Water lotus does the same and has the same effect as that of water lilies.
5. Bulrushes- make a good pond cleaning plant, bulrushes remove bacteria, as well as nutrients, build up from ponds. Bulrushes also put forth flowers.
6. Water Lettuce-can be compared to the water lilies in that they float on the water surface absorbing impurities.
7. Water mint-the potting procedures of water mint is the same as that of water lilies, water mint shoots a purple flower and has a minty scent. This plant also purifies your pond by removing bacteria and oil.
The final word
These are just a few aquatic purifying plants that can help keep your pond clean, you deserve it and your pond deserves it, so give it a try, you will be glad that you did.