Attracting DragonfliesTo Your Yard
Creating a dragonfly garden
Creating a garden that attracts dragonflies can be a very rewarding experience as your garden area is buzzing from activity with these insects which are a predator to mosquitoes, beetles and other insects. As a child, I remembered on long hot summer days, my brother and sister along with my self and our neighborhood friends would spend hours in the bushes catching and collecting dragonflies.
It was such a delight to watch them as they flew, their wings resembled the spinning of a helicopter’s propeller. Both watching and catching them was a favorite pass time which I looked forward to.
A painful experience
How we caught dragonflies was to hold them by their wings, but this summer’s day I will never forget, I attempted to catch a dragonfly not by its wings but instead its tail.
What happened next was that the dragonfly span around and bite me on the finger, I did not know that a dragonflies bite was so painful until that day which causes me to change my views as far as catching them was concerned. From that day to this which was many, many, years ago, I now enjoy them by simply watching them instead of attempting to catch them.
Attracting dragonflies to your yard
So now comes the fun part of ways of turning your garden into and environment which the dragonfly cannot resist.
- A Pond
- A trough
- Choosing the right plants
- Flat Rocks
Creating a water feature
To have success in attracting dragonflies to your yard what you will need is some type of water feature, dragonflies breed in the water and live mostly in these areas so the presence of water is a must. What water feature is there that is available to achieve your desired results?
Installing a pond
Your thoughts may be that constructing a pond is beyond your budget but the good news is a pond does not have to be costly, There are plastic shaped ponds which can be brought from your garden center These ponds are easy to install.
It is all a matter of following the instruction of installation and you are good to go, once the pond is in place add water along with your choice of plants and rocks as discussed below and you are all set. Dragonflies will lay eggs in plants and their young or larva will live in these plants until they are grown, these plants are also used as a resting place. Some plants should be installed around the edges of your pond and those such as the water lilies, sago pondweed, etc.. can be placed in the pond.
The use of a trough
The use of a trough is another great way to create a pond, the way this is done is to place your trough in your garden, install garden plants around the edges add the water along with rocks and some plants such as water lilies as you would do when installing a pond and you are all set.
A tub or other container
A tub or other containers that are of the same size or a bit smaller can work also, just place in your garden area add the water, rocks, and plants as stated and you would have created a mini pond which is so inviting.
Adding rocks is another feature which will make your manmade pond all-natural to the dragonfly, the mixture of flat rocks of various sizes and texture will help greatly especially when dragonflies need to rest in the sun.
Choosing the right plant
Another important factor to consider is to use plants that attract dragonflies. Below is a list of plants which can be used.
- Swamp Milkweed
- Water Lilies
- Sago Pondweed
- Veronica Snowmass
- Salvia Marcus
- Wild Celery
- Purple Catmint Flower
- Liatris Spicata Blubs
- Water Horsetail
- Baby Pondweed
- Black Eyed-Susan
- White Yarrow
- Meadow Sage
- Water Lily
- Joe Pye Weed
These choices of plants will not only attract dragonflies but are so beautiful, you will be getting the best of both worlds by not only attracting dragonflies with these plants which will take care of your mosquito problems but plants which are a real show stopper taking your garden and landscapes to the next level. I believe this is a win-win for you, You cannot lose with a garden of this type.
1. In maintaining a dragonfly garden or attracting dragonflies to your yard it’s best not to use harmful pesticide. These pesticides can drift into the pond area causing much damage to the larvae or dragonfly nymphs.
2. Dragonflies can be used as a biological control to keep mosquitoes population low. Mosquitoes are a favorite of dragonflies and they love to feast on them.
3. The dragonfly nymphs will eat the mosquito larvae in the water.
Dragonfly fun facts
12 fun facts about the dragonfly
1. There is said to be about 5,000 species of dragonflies.
2. The larva of the dragonfly will remain in the water for about one year.
3. Dragonflies love to live near ponds and streams.
4. Dragonflies can fly side to side or up and down.
5. Dragonflies can see in every direction except right behind them.
6. The eyes of dragonflies are very large.
7. Dragonflies catch insects with its feet.
8. The dragonfly has great vision
9. It is said that people that live in Indonesia eat dragonflies.
10. Dragonflies start their lives in the water.
11. Before taking flight dragonflies has to warm up during the morning hours.
12. Dragonflies are found on every continent except Antarctica.
The final word
Attracting dragonflies to your yard has so many benefits, these garden insects are amazing so if this post interest you and you would love to create a dragonfly garden then I encourage you to go ahead and give this garden type a try you will be so happy that you did as your garden will not only be buzzing with excitement but with insects which will make life easier by bringing balance to the ecosystem.