Activities for seniors
As we grow older our bodies begin to slow down and we become less active. At this stage in our lives it so important that we not only eat healthily but involve ourselves in activities that will keep our heart rate up contributing to our overall health.
Who says that those golden years should be spent laying on the couch or sitting down day after day watching our favorite television programs, and while there is no harm in doing this, it should be done in moderation because there is a saying that “a body that is in motion stays in motion” and by engaging in physical activities will ensure that we maintain good health.
My mother in law is in her 70’s and she is always in her garden working, water or planting something and she has so much energy. She really enjoys her garden.
Connecting with nature
There is just something about the garden and connecting with nature. What I love about gardening is that we have an awesome part to play by giving nature a helping hand as we watch our gardens transform into a thing of beauty.
And this can be very exciting for seniors as they see the effort they put in each day begin to pay off in big ways. What is also great about garden activities is the mental effect it has on the mind and for seniors, this to can be very rewarding keeping their brains sharp and alert not to mention the many wildlife to watch in their habitat.
Gardening for seniors
Some ideas for garden projects for seniors
1. Flower gardens- Starting a flower garden is great because flower gardens tend to paint such a magical picture with its array of colors in full bloom.
2. Butterfly gardens- Creating a butterfly garden is worth having as you will not only providing a home for wildlife but watch them as they fly so gracefully collecting nectar.
3. Hummingbird gardening- Hummingbirds are really fun to watch as they go from plant to plant collecting nectar. This is a garden that will provide lots of fun and excitement to seniors as they go bird watching.
5. Vegetable gardens- What brings such delight is to be able to eat veggies that you grew your self. This experience is so rewarding as you eat the fruits of your labor.
6. Urban Gardening- What I love about this type of gardening is that it brings the whole community together both the young, middle age and seniors that promotes togetherness and friendship.
7. Raised bed gardening- Raised bed gardening is another twist to gardening that is really cool. Graden project like these can really add flavor and style.
8. Container gardening- Don’t have the space, no problem. Container gardening can ensure that you are still involved in some garden activities while connecting with nature and enjoying these portable gardens.
There are much more garden designs that can be added to this list. Get creative think outside the box, this is good for brain exercise.
Gardening for seniors
Garden safety tips
1. The first rule to remember at all times and that is safety first this is where proper planning comes in no matter how small the job may be.
2. Have a plan on where you are working exp… working on slopes, working near overhead power lines or electrical lines in the ground can be dangerous.
3. Be mindful of waterlines as well as irrigation lines.
4. Watch out for uneven grounds you don’t want to trip and fall.
5. Wait until the grounds are dried from rains or heavy dew. A former co-worker went out on the hotel grounds one morning making his regular checks, slipped on the grass that was wet and broke his leg. Talk about a freak accident.
6. Wear long clothing to protect from sun or use sunscreen to protect skin.
7. Wear the proper footwear such as Gardening boots.
8. Gardening gloves.
9. Goggles to protect your eyes.
10. Ear muffs or ear plugs when using power tools such as lawnmowers, gas-powered trimmers etc…
11. Safety belt to support your back especially if the project requires some lifting.
12. Carry tools in a wheel burrow for ease and comfort.
13. Get help if the project requires more hands.
14. Keep body hydrated by drinking lots of water.
15. Eat a healthy meal before starting work and wait for 10-15 minutes before working.
16. The best time for seniors to garden outdoors is in the morning when it is cool or late in the evening when the sun is about to set.
17. Wearing a hat can help keep you cool when working in the heat.
18. Have a first aid kit close by.
19. Keep insect spray close by for, exp. wasp. hornets etc…
20. Never leave tools laying on the ground you might trip on them which may cause injury.
21. Paint garden tools with bright colors, this will make it easier for seniors when it comes to looking for the right tools.
22. Use a nice low chair if bending is a challenge.
Gardening is a great activity for seniors as it can both contribute to their physical and mental well-being. This is a great way to get outdoors connecting with nature and getting those creative juices flowing.
So let’s help our senior citizens have this kind of experience by engaging in this fun-filled activity that is so rewarding as it brings, peace and relaxation as they reap the rewards of their labor.
A treat that is simply delicious
I fell in love with apricots a few years ago when the manager where I work arrange for my coworkers and I to have lunch at a 5-star resort. One of the desserts that were on the menu was dried apricots. When I tasted it, it was simply so delicious that I ask the cook in the restaurant what they were and that was how I was first introduced to this most amazing fruit.
Apricots have such an interesting history and the journey of this fruit have been long cultivated and harvested from generation to generation.
The history of apricots
According to historical records, apricots were cultivated in China about 3-4000 BC and many years later made its way to Armenia and Europe. The tree later was introduced to Virginia in 1720
and then in 1792 this tree graced the continent of North America. There are several species of apricots that belongs to the stone family.
Many delicious desserts are made with apricots that it is really mind-blowing from pies to cake many other pastries and drinks. but what I love is to eat them when they are dried.
dried apricots like in this photo are simply mouthwatering and very delicious. I can just taste them now yummy so good. What I love about this superfood is that they are not only delicious but very healthy so we get the best of both worlds.
Their sweetness and their many benefits they contain.
What are some of the benefits of a diet in apricots?
Apricots health benefits
Here are a few apricots health benefits that I believe will really interest you.
1. Apricots are great for our health. Apricots are rich in Vitamin C that helps to support heart health. A diet of apricots keeps the arteries clean by removing a buildup of cholesterol that can contribute to heart disease.
2. Promotes a good bowel movement. Because of its high fiber content apricots does a great job in making it easier when in the bathroom.
3. Apricots are loaded with antioxidants that help the body to get rid of free radicals and toxins that can cause much harm to our bodies.
4. Because of its good Vitamin A content source, apricots promotes eye health.
5. The healing properties that are found in apricots can give healthy skin.
6. Apricots are great when fighting cancer because of its ability to get rid of free radicals that contribute to cancer.
7. Apricots improve our metabolism because of its great potassium content that supports our metabolism.
8. Apricots improve bone health
Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Fiber, Iron, Calcium, manganese, and Phosphorus.
So there is no mystery as to why this fruit has made it on the list of superfoods. Apricots are pretty amazing because of its taste and healing properties
I encourage you to give these fruits a try and benefit in a great way from all they have to offer.
A Superfood that is Super delicious
What I love about superfoods is not only the benefits and the vitamins they contain but the delicious flavors they have, we get the best of both worlds by making these foods a part of our diet.
And it is no exception when it comes to pears. As a child growing up this was one of my favorite fruits and it still is to this day. There is nothing like sinking your teeth into a nice juicy pear
that is full of all that goodness with all those vitamins, UMM so delicious, just talking about it I can have one right now. What about you? do you have a love for pear like I do or is it just me?
The history of pear
The origin of pears has a rich history and can be traced back to Rome. Pears were cultivated by ancient Romans, it is said that these pears were grafted by ancient Roman horticulturist that produced more than 40 species of pears.
There are also many countries like the Uk, China, Middle East, Europe, The United States, Asia Minor and so on that has a rich history that is beyond the scope of this article that involves growing pears.
Some Cultivars of pear
Some cultivar of pears includes Quince, Bartlett, Callery, Almond- leave pear, Willow-leave pear, Snow pear, European pear, Apricot- leave pear, Asian pear, Forelle pear, Anjou pear and the list goes on.
The world of pears is very exciting because there are just so many that have all that goodness and then some. The health benefits of pear are really awesome.
Health benefits of pear
Here are some amazing health benefits of pears
1. Pears are a good source of antioxidants that help the body to get rid of free radical.
2. Pears have a good amount of fiber that aids in bowel movement.
3. Promotes good digestion. The fiber in Pears acts as a bulking agent in the intestine that causes foods to pass easier.
4. Contributes to a healthier heart. Fibers that are found in pears help to reduce cholesterol that contributes to heart disease.
5. Pears are rich in Boron and Vitamin k that is needed for bone health.
6. Aids in weight loss. Pears though sweet are low in calories that will keep of those extra pounds.
7. Pears are an immune booster. Pears stimulates white blood cell production because of its Vitamin C content.
8. Aids in the prevention of cancer. Because of its good antioxidants content, a diet in pear can help to rid the body of toxins that can contribute to cancer.
9. Promotes hair and skin health. Pears has an abundance of Vitamin A that will keep your hair and skin radiant.
10. Pears are great for our blood level. Anti-carcinogen glutathione that helps to control blood pressure.
11. Pears help to promote mental health because of its copper content that contributes to the central nervous system.
12. Contributes to a quick recovery of our bodies because pears have the essential vitamins to repair tissues.
Health benefits of pear
Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, B3 and B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Boron, Copper, Fiber, Potassium, Calcium. Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, Riboflavin, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin, Zinc, Phosphorus, Pantothenic acid, Pyridoxine.
1. Pears is part of the rose family.
2. Pears ripen much better when they are of the tree.
3. Pears have recorded to have been around from 1000 BC.
4. There are over three thousand varieties of pears.
5. Europeans smoked pear leave before tobacco leaves were. discovered.
6. In ancient Greece, pears were used as medicine to cure an upset stomach.
7. In the United State, the Bartlett pare is the is the most popular.
8. Pears develop white or pink flowers.
9. Pears are also known as butter fruit.
10. Pears will produce fruits four years after planting.
So as you can see, there is no surprise as to why I am so excited about this superfood that has been around for such a long time doing a whole lot of good for those who choose to make these superfoods a part of their diet.
I Encourage you to take advantage of pears that are an added benefit when it comes to our health and well being.
Eliminating bad breath naturally
Nothing can be more embarrassing than to turn people off because your breath is not fresh or to have what some people call dragon or bad breath.
There is much reason as to why persons may have bad breath, it may be because of certain foods, gastrointestinal health, or oral hygiene. But whatever the case may be the good news is there are foods we can incorporate into our diet
that can go a long way in helping to fight bad breath and give us the confidence as we go about our daily lives. I have come across some persons myself and the experience was far from inviting.
I am also very conscious of my breath and do whatever I can so that I can speak at all times with the assurance that I will not turn people away.
Foods that cause bad breath
We all have those favorites foods that we love to eat but the unfortunate side is to eat these foods in moderation or to have breathed fresher to use after eating these foods.
Garlic has so many benefits and can do so much as far as our health is concern but eating a lot of foods that are prepared with garlic can work against us.
Brush teeth if possible or carry breath freshers to get rid of odor.
Onions are another food that contains vitamins and all of that other good stuff but consuming too much onion can be a real turn off. Because onions can really give your breath a strong odor.
Brushing teeth or using breath freshers after each meal can go a long way in giving you the confidence as you talk with people.
Spicy foods may really appeal to our taste buds but have an enormous effect on our breath. Eliminate this problem by brushing or breath fresheners.
Fish whether canned or fresh can really be a problem when it comes to bad breath. Sure that fish dinner may have excited your taste buds while giving you such a memorable experience but be warned fish can give our breath such an odor.
If you cannot brush then carry some breath freshener or sugarless gum with you. Rinse mouth with water then freshen breath with breath freshener.
Alcohol is not a food but the consumption of alcohol can really cause bad breath I mean really bad. The consumption of alcohol is not good so staying away from alcohol is really good.
Proper mouth care is so important such as brushing and flossing after each meal, seeing your dentist twice a year, the use of Listerine on daily basis can help to kill the bacteria that causes bad breath. Also, do brush your tongue.
Has to do with the dysfunction of certain organs where foods are not being digested properly which requires medical help, the subject at hand is beyond the scope of this article
but persons who have this issue may experience bad breath due to this issue. Getting medical help can correct this problem giving you the confidence to live a healthy normal life.
Foods that fights bad breath
1. Ginger– Ginger is very potent and can help kill bad breath. Swishing a cup of warm ginger with lemon juice in your mouth for a few seconds can neutralize bad breath.
3. Water is not only good for our kidneys but keeping our mouths moist at all times because dry mouth can cause bad breath. Swishing water around in the mouth can also wash away food particles that cause bad breath.
4. Green tea can get the job done. Flavonoids that are found in green tea, helps to fight off bacteria.
5. Apples are great because besides getting all those vitamins from this fruit chewing on an apple increases the flow of saliva that helps to keep the mouth free of bacteria.
7. Chewing on celery sticks also has the same effects as chewing on carrots.
8. Cranberries are a good source of vitamin C that fights bacteria as well as gum disease.
10. Chewing on cucumbers increase the flow of saliva that helps to keep the mouth free of saliva because this process acts as a rinse.
11. Rosemary can really flavor your foods, I love cooking with this herb. Because of the nice aroma and taste that rosemary has, this herb also acts as a breath freshener that produces oils.
12. Papayas are a good source of Vitamin C which helps to fight bacteria.
The list of foods can go on that is so beneficial in fighting bacteria. But this is just to give you an idea of the foods that you add to your grocery list each week or so.
So let’s continue to take advantage of these foods that fights bad breath.
Cleaning our liver the natural way
We live in a world where we are exposed to so many chemicals that can be detrimental to our health, It is no surprise that millions of people every year seek medical help because of the number of toxins their bodies are exposed to.
what is even more alarming is many of the products that we use in our homes also contains chemicals that are hazardous to our health. Certain household products, furniture, paper, pains and so on can have a negative effect on our health.
The good news, however, is that there are ways of keeping our liver healthy and functioning at its best.
Our liver is a large organ that can be found on the right side of our stomach.This organ is brown- reddish and weights about 3 pounds.
There is the left lobe and the right lobe, the main function of the liver is to filter the blood, helps to absorb and digest foods, metabolizes drugs, detoxifies chemicals. The liver also breaks down fats in the small intestine during digestion and produces bile that carries away waste.
While the function of the liver is beyond the scope of this article it is good to know the importance of some of these basics so we can see how important liver function is when it comes to our health.
Doing a natural liver detox is a good way to give our liver a spring cleaning ensuing its over-all health.
Natural liver detox
What I love about nature is that all that we need to live a healthy life can be found in all of the natural good stuff that nature has to offer. I often have said in a few of my articles that nature is our pharmacy that gives us all that goodness without any side effects.
Foods to include in our diet to promote a healthy liver
Here are some foods that have been found to keep our liver healthy at all times. Some of these foods can be eaten raw or semi-cooked.
Never cook these foods to the point where they get mushy and soft. This will be defeating the purpose because overcooking these foods will destroy those natural properties that are so beneficial.
Fruits that detoxes the liver
1. Grapefruits– are a good source of Vitamin C. This superfood is also loaded with antioxidants that will cleanse our liver.
2. Apples– are one of my favorites. Apples have a great amount of pectin which allows chemicals to be released from the digestive tract making it easier for the liver to be cleansed.
3. Limes and Lemons– are high in Vitamin C. Drinking freshly squeezed lemon juice in the morning along with a glass of water can give your liver a jump start in the detoxing process.
4. Avocados– are another one of my favorites besides its great taste and its many uses, avocados truly deserve to be on the list of superfoods.
This superfood cleanses the body by producing glutathione that helps to detoxify the liver.
5. Strawberries– as we know is the symbol of love but besides this strawberries contain compounds that can help in keeping our liver healthy and clean.
Vegetables that detoxes the liver
1. Cabbage– Has the ability to activate liver enzymes that flush the liver of toxins.
2. Leafy green vegetables– eat your greens is what many of our parents told us, but do you know that the healing properties of leafy greens have the ability to pull toxins from our liver.
3. Carrots– are not only good for eyesight but this veggie is loaded with beta-carotene and flavonoids that promote liver health.
4. Beets– are not only a good support for blood, but the vitamins in beets also help to promote and support liver health.
5. Olive oil– we all know about the famous olive oil, olive oil helps to absorb harmful toxins from the liver.
Herbs that detoxes the liver
1. Peppermint– studies have shown that the properties of peppermint protect the liver against certain toxins.
2. Garlic– I love cooking with garlic, it has such a great aroma and the taste is so awesome. But garlic also has the ability to stimulate liver enzymes that rid the liver of toxins.
3. Aloe vera– is loaded with so much and can do a whole for our bodies. Aloe vera help to rid the body of toxins making it easier on liver function.
4. Ginger– is an amazing herb that aids the body in so many ways, but this super herb also has the ability to cleanse the liver by helping the body get rid of harmful toxins.
5. Seaweed– is a good source of sodium alginate which aids in absorbing toxins from the body making it easier on the liver.
Other superfoods that detox the liver
The POWER Of JUICING
Another method of liver detoxing is by juicing, this is a great way to blend those superfoods into a healthy drink that can work wonders keeping your liver healthy and fit. For more information on Healthy juicing follow the link.
Our liver plays such an important function to ensure that we are in good health at all times, let’s do all that we can to keep our liver function at it’s best