Tips to Control Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are one of the most difficult pests to control, these pests are a nuisance living off the blood of humans and animals, their bites are known to cause allergic reactions that can be fatal. Bed bugs also cause itching and sleep deprivation, their bites that cause itching can lead to secondary infections such as lymphangitis, ecthyma, and impetigo. Other health-related issues from bed bug bites include a swollen tongue, fever, difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat, blisters, and flu-like or nauseous feelings.
Bed Bugs Identification
The adult bed bug is about the size of an apple seed or has a flat body that’s oval-shaped, however, once feeding takes place their body becomes swallowed and is reddish in color. Bed bugs do not have the ability to fly but move swiftly over walls, ceilings, and the floor, these pests hang out or congregate in groups hiding or taking up residence in bed frames, box springs, headboards, and mattresses.
What causes bed bugs?
Bed bugs are known as hitchers entering your home by traveling on use bed, couches and other furniture’s, your clothing, (families and visitors clothing) luggage, backpack, purses, etc…some also enters your home by simply crawling through openings.
Identifying Bed Bug Bites
Bed bugs can deliver bites on body parts, signs of bed bugs bite include a painful sensation, a raised itchy bump spot with a clear center, small dried blood spots from bites which can be found on bed clothing and sheets, once bump appears it’s red in appearance with a dark center the surrounding area is lightly swollen, blisters also surround bumps that are small and red, infected areas may also develop flat patches that may be inflamed, fabrics are stain with dried reddish-reddish-brown bed bug droppings. The eggs of bed bugs are pearl white in color and are tiny like the size of a pine head with a barrel shape. The female lays her eggs in cracks and crevices, the eggs hatch in 6-10 days’ time. What I found to be interesting is an individual female bed bug can lay up to 200-250 eggs in her lifetime.
Bed Bugs Life Span
Bed bugs can live anywhere from 4-6 months, but under cool conditions, they have been known to live up to 1 year without food.
Bed Bugs Control
Bed bugs as stated are difficult to control and a professional company that’s knowledgeable may need to be brought in to bring control. Based on the infestation or the severity of bed bugs will determine the amount of money you may have to payout. It’s said that homeowners pay on an average”$1,000 to $2,500 for bed bug treatments”.
Treatment cost depends on the size of the area that’s to be treated along with the type of treatment that is used, a small area with a little infestation may cost anywhere from $250 or more while a bigger space that’s badly infested may cost $4,000 and even higher. While these prices are hefty you may want to take on the job yourself but if bed bugs infestation is that server or out of control then it’s best that you leave eliminating bed bugs to the pros and hire a professional company.
Do It Yourself Bed Bugs Control
Here are some do it your self tips to bring bed bugs under control.
1. Pour rubbing alcohol in a 32 oz spray bottle and spray away, once the alcohol comes in contact will eliminate bed bugs.
2. Steam cleaning is another effective way to get rid of bed bugs, temperatures that exceed 140 degrees Fahrenheit will kill both bed bugs and their eggs. To avoid damage to your furniture follow the directions of the steam cleaner.
3. A Vaccum cleaner is a handy tool and will go to work for you, the vacuum cleaner must be powerful with a hose attachment, vacuum your bed and other soft furniture along with cracks, crevices, your carpet, and floor. Electrical appliances should be inspected as well, once you have completed vacuuming remove the bag and properly dispose of it.
4. All bedding and clothes that are infected should be washed in hot water and then placed in a dryer which will eliminate bed bugs, however before placing fabrics in hot water read the label to ensure washing directions.
5. A stiff brush can become a handy tool for eliminating bed bugs, running a brush that’s stiff along the seams of your mattress dislodges both the bed bugs and their eggs.
7 Best Bed Bug Treatment Spray
1. Best natural: Eco defense bed bug killer.
2. Best overall bottle:Harris black label bed bug killer.
3. Best powder: Rockwell cimeX insecticide dust.
4. Best overall: bed bug killer by ecoraider.
5. Best spray foam: Raid bed bug foaming spray, for indoor use, non-staining.
6. Best for your budget: Ortho home defense max bed bug, flea, and tick killer.
7. Best for mattresses: Bedlam plus.
12 Tips to Prevent Bed Bugs
- Vacuum regularly
- Use bed bugs monitors
- Remove clutter from the floor
- Don’t store items under the bed
- Wash both your luggage and clothes after traveling
- Store items in plastic containers
- Seal all openings and cracks, bed bugs will use these cracks and openings as entry points
- Keep clothes of your bed
- Dust mite-proof encasements
- Inspect your lodging area
- Keep an eye on your pet and the bed where they lay
- Avoid putting your suitcase on the bed once back from traveling
The final word on best bed bug treatment
Bed bugs are a nuisance and can cause health-related issues, it’s important that you follow these steps to bring these pests under control. We should do all that we can to ensure that our homes are free of bed bugs. To prevent and control bed bugs may seem to be a lot of work but the good news is the work that you put in will yield positive results that will protect both the health of you, your family and your pets so let’s win the war on bed bugs by stamping them out following these tips.