Getting your soil to work for you
Successful gardening depends on many factors, I have heard so many people say how they killed their plant that was brought from the plant nursery and they have no idea why this happened.
While it is so true, strange as it may sound there have been many persons that have had garden success and failure without even knowing why, for many it was sought of good luck but what we want, however, is not to have so call luck when it comes to plants but rather having the acquired knowledge that will pay of in the long run.
One important factor that plays a big role in the life of a plant is the soil. Knowing your soil type and how to make improvements is the difference between garden success and failure.
Garden plants require different soil type in order to survive and the only way this can happen is knowing what your plant’s soil type is and making improvements.
Best soil amendments
The benefits of soil amendments
1. Soil amendments will help your garden soil to retain water.
2. Will cause your soil to be more porous meaning better drainage.
3. Soil amendments will make the soil more nutrient rich.
4. Will assist with better air circulation that is a plus for soil microbes.
5. Will help to bind soil particles together.
6. Can help to feed soil microbes that are an added benefit for your garden plants.
7. Soil amendments will reduce compaction.
8. Will improve the physical structure of the soil.
9. Soil amendments help to balance minerals.
10. Adding soil amendments will help you to water less.
Best soil amendments
There are three soil type which are
Loam contains all three of these soil type that makes it the ideal soil but because most home gardens lack one of the three it is necessary to add soil amendments to make your soil ideal for your plants in order to garden successfully.
Type of soil amendments
1. Peat moss is great for its water holding capacity.
2. Animal manures such as chickens, cows, and horse manure is great because the nutrient content is high.
3. Grass clippings are beneficial and can work wonders for your garden soil a word of warning, don’t use grass clippings that have been sprayed with herbicides.
4. Perlite is great especially when it is used for container gardening. Perlite is excellent when seeking to make your garden soil porous for drainage and proper air circulation.
5. Vermiculite is a porous material that also conditions the soil with good drainage and is an added bonus to retain water and fertilizer.
6. Products such as mulches and sawdust are great and can help to construct the ideal soil. These wood products also add nutrients to the soil as they decompose.
7. Compost makes an excellent choice an will work wonders in your garden.
8. Worm casting is beneficial and will do your garden soil a whole lot of good.
These are just a few to consider when seeking to improve the quality of your garden soils.
This list is just a few of the best soil amendments that are available which can make a major contribution when it comes to conditioning your garden soil.
Best soil amendments
When choosing soil amendments factors to consider is
1. How long will the amendments last?
2. PH level of the soil amendments.
3. What is the salt content?
4. What is the soil texture?
5. Soil salinity.
How to incorporate soil amendments
When incorporating soil amendments with your garden soils for best results mix thoroughly with a garden shovel and the help of a pitchfork if preferred. Adding soil amendments is a safe and a natural way to give your garden plants what they need.
The final word
It does not matter if you have the ideal garden soil with soil amendments you can have much garden success as you build the almost perfect soil for your garden plants. So if you have not had much success because of poor garden soil then following this guide will bring you much garden success as your plants grow healthy and you reap a good harvest.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.