Category: Healthy Foods
A treat that is simply delicious
I fell in love with apricots a few years ago when the manager where I work arrange for my coworkers and I to have lunch at a 5-star resort. One of the desserts that were on the menu was dried apricots. When I tasted it, it was simply so delicious that I ask the cook in the restaurant what they were and that was how I was first introduced to this most amazing fruit.
Apricots have such an interesting history and the journey of this fruit have been long cultivated and harvested from generation to generation.
The history of apricots
According to historical records, apricots were cultivated in China about 3-4000 BC and many years later made its way to Armenia and Europe. The tree later was introduced to Virginia in 1720
and then in 1792 this tree graced the continent of North America. There are several species of apricots that belongs to the stone family.
Many delicious desserts are made with apricots that it is really mind-blowing from pies to cake many other pastries and drinks. but what I love is to eat them when they are dried.
dried apricots like in this photo are simply mouthwatering and very delicious. I can just taste them now yummy so good. What I love about this superfood is that they are not only delicious but very healthy so we get the best of both worlds.
Their sweetness and their many benefits they contain.
What are some of the benefits of a diet in apricots?
Apricots health benefits
Here are a few apricots health benefits that I believe will really interest you.
1. Apricots are great for our health. Apricots are rich in Vitamin C that helps to support heart health. A diet of apricots keeps the arteries clean by removing a buildup of cholesterol that can contribute to heart disease.
2. Promotes a good bowel movement. Because of its high fiber content apricots does a great job in making it easier when in the bathroom.
3. Apricots are loaded with antioxidants that help the body to get rid of free radicals and toxins that can cause much harm to our bodies.
4. Because of its good Vitamin A content source, apricots promotes eye health.
5. The healing properties that are found in apricots can give healthy skin.
6. Apricots are great when fighting cancer because of its ability to get rid of free radicals that contribute to cancer.
7. Apricots improve our metabolism because of its great potassium content that supports our metabolism.
8. Apricots improve bone health
Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper, Fiber, Iron, Calcium, manganese, and Phosphorus.
So there is no mystery as to why this fruit has made it on the list of superfoods. Apricots are pretty amazing because of its taste and healing properties
I encourage you to give these fruits a try and benefit in a great way from all they have to offer.
A Superfood that is Super delicious
What I love about superfoods is not only the benefits and the vitamins they contain but the delicious flavors they have, we get the best of both worlds by making these foods a part of our diet.
And it is no exception when it comes to pears. As a child growing up this was one of my favorite fruits and it still is to this day. There is nothing like sinking your teeth into a nice juicy pear
that is full of all that goodness with all those vitamins, UMM so delicious, just talking about it I can have one right now. What about you? do you have a love for pear like I do or is it just me?
The history of pear
The origin of pears has a rich history and can be traced back to Rome. Pears were cultivated by ancient Romans, it is said that these pears were grafted by ancient Roman horticulturist that produced more than 40 species of pears.
There are also many countries like the Uk, China, Middle East, Europe, The United States, Asia Minor and so on that has a rich history that is beyond the scope of this article that involves growing pears.
Some Cultivars of pear
Some cultivar of pears includes Quince, Bartlett, Callery, Almond- leave pear, Willow-leave pear, Snow pear, European pear, Apricot- leave pear, Asian pear, Forelle pear, Anjou pear and the list goes on.
The world of pears is very exciting because there are just so many that have all that goodness and then some. The health benefits of pear are really awesome.
Health benefits of pear
Here are some amazing health benefits of pears
1. Pears are a good source of antioxidants that help the body to get rid of free radical.
2. Pears have a good amount of fiber that aids in bowel movement.
3. Promotes good digestion. The fiber in Pears acts as a bulking agent in the intestine that causes foods to pass easier.
4. Contributes to a healthier heart. Fibers that are found in pears help to reduce cholesterol that contributes to heart disease.
5. Pears are rich in Boron and Vitamin k that is needed for bone health.
6. Aids in weight loss. Pears though sweet are low in calories that will keep of those extra pounds.
7. Pears are an immune booster. Pears stimulates white blood cell production because of its Vitamin C content.
8. Aids in the prevention of cancer. Because of its good antioxidants content, a diet in pear can help to rid the body of toxins that can contribute to cancer.
9. Promotes hair and skin health. Pears has an abundance of Vitamin A that will keep your hair and skin radiant.
10. Pears are great for our blood level. Anti-carcinogen glutathione that helps to control blood pressure.
11. Pears help to promote mental health because of its copper content that contributes to the central nervous system.
12. Contributes to a quick recovery of our bodies because pears have the essential vitamins to repair tissues.
Health benefits of pear
Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, B3 and B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Boron, Copper, Fiber, Potassium, Calcium. Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, Riboflavin, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin, Zinc, Phosphorus, Pantothenic acid, Pyridoxine.
1. Pears is part of the rose family.
2. Pears ripen much better when they are of the tree.
3. Pears have recorded to have been around from 1000 BC.
4. There are over three thousand varieties of pears.
5. Europeans smoked pear leave before tobacco leaves were. discovered.
6. In ancient Greece, pears were used as medicine to cure an upset stomach.
7. In the United State, the Bartlett pare is the is the most popular.
8. Pears develop white or pink flowers.
9. Pears are also known as butter fruit.
10. Pears will produce fruits four years after planting.
So as you can see, there is no surprise as to why I am so excited about this superfood that has been around for such a long time doing a whole lot of good for those who choose to make these superfoods a part of their diet.
I Encourage you to take advantage of pears that are an added benefit when it comes to our health and well being.
Eliminating bad breath naturally
Nothing can be more embarrassing than to turn people off because your breath is not fresh or to have what some people call dragon or bad breath.
There is much reason as to why persons may have bad breath, it may be because of certain foods, gastrointestinal health, or oral hygiene. But whatever the case may be the good news is there are foods we can incorporate into our diet
that can go a long way in helping to fight bad breath and give us the confidence as we go about our daily lives. I have come across some persons myself and the experience was far from inviting.
I am also very conscious of my breath and do whatever I can so that I can speak at all times with the assurance that I will not turn people away.
Foods that cause bad breath
We all have those favorites foods that we love to eat but the unfortunate side is to eat these foods in moderation or to have breathed fresher to use after eating these foods.
Garlic has so many benefits and can do so much as far as our health is concern but eating a lot of foods that are prepared with garlic can work against us.
Brush teeth if possible or carry breath freshers to get rid of odor.
Onions are another food that contains vitamins and all of that other good stuff but consuming too much onion can be a real turn off. Because onions can really give your breath a strong odor.
Brushing teeth or using breath freshers after each meal can go a long way in giving you the confidence as you talk with people.
Spicy foods may really appeal to our taste buds but have an enormous effect on our breath. Eliminate this problem by brushing or breath fresheners.
Fish whether canned or fresh can really be a problem when it comes to bad breath. Sure that fish dinner may have excited your taste buds while giving you such a memorable experience but be warned fish can give our breath such an odor.
If you cannot brush then carry some breath freshener or sugarless gum with you. Rinse mouth with water then freshen breath with breath freshener.
Alcohol is not a food but the consumption of alcohol can really cause bad breath I mean really bad. The consumption of alcohol is not good so staying away from alcohol is really good.
Proper mouth care is so important such as brushing and flossing after each meal, seeing your dentist twice a year, the use of Listerine on daily basis can help to kill the bacteria that causes bad breath. Also, do brush your tongue.
Has to do with the dysfunction of certain organs where foods are not being digested properly which requires medical help, the subject at hand is beyond the scope of this article
but persons who have this issue may experience bad breath due to this issue. Getting medical help can correct this problem giving you the confidence to live a healthy normal life.
Foods that fights bad breath
1. Ginger– Ginger is very potent and can help kill bad breath. Swishing a cup of warm ginger with lemon juice in your mouth for a few seconds can neutralize bad breath.
3. Water is not only good for our kidneys but keeping our mouths moist at all times because dry mouth can cause bad breath. Swishing water around in the mouth can also wash away food particles that cause bad breath.
4. Green tea can get the job done. Flavonoids that are found in green tea, helps to fight off bacteria.
5. Apples are great because besides getting all those vitamins from this fruit chewing on an apple increases the flow of saliva that helps to keep the mouth free of bacteria.
7. Chewing on celery sticks also has the same effects as chewing on carrots.
8. Cranberries are a good source of vitamin C that fights bacteria as well as gum disease.
10. Chewing on cucumbers increase the flow of saliva that helps to keep the mouth free of saliva because this process acts as a rinse.
11. Rosemary can really flavor your foods, I love cooking with this herb. Because of the nice aroma and taste that rosemary has, this herb also acts as a breath freshener that produces oils.
12. Papayas are a good source of Vitamin C which helps to fight bacteria.
The list of foods can go on that is so beneficial in fighting bacteria. But this is just to give you an idea of the foods that you add to your grocery list each week or so.
So let’s continue to take advantage of these foods that fights bad breath.
Eat your veggie is what some of us heard often from our parents because as we all know kids are hanged up when it comes to putting down their greens.
But do you know eggplants are fruits, they are botanical fruits that belong to the nightshade family and not veggie to popular belief? This is a fruit that can be cooked really flavoring your foods.
What is so amazing about eggplants is that it is a natural healer that can do wonders and benefit us in so many ways. Eggplants are our natural pharmacy that is loaded with so many vitamins.
This fruit is said to have been around for about 2000 years, now that’s a lot of years that people have grown and enjoyed eggplant being used is so many dishes.
To learn more on how to grow and harvest eggplant follow the link
Eggplant can use in stir-fry, salads, lightly steamed, grilled, Eggplant can be backed, Roasted, Stuffed, Curried, Fried. These are a few of the many ways eggplant is prepared.
Health benefits of eggplant
1. Eggplant improves heart health.
2. Help to fight cancer.
3. Aid in preventing birth defects.
4. Makes a good brain food.
5. Can help with weight control.
6. Help to improve bone health.
7. Improves digestion.
8. Lowers bad cholesterol.
9. Help to improve blood.
10. Regulates Diabetes.
Vitamins eggplant contains
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Copper, Fiber, Potassium, Foliate, Magnesium, Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Manganese, Calcium and Phosphors.
Eggplant Fun facts
1. Eggplant is not a veggie but a fruit.
2. Eggplant belongs to the nightshade family such as tomatoes, sweet peppers, potatoes etc…
3. Eggplant is 95%.
4. China produces the most eggplant worldwide.
5. The skin of the eggplant is shiny.
6. Eggplants date back to more than 2ooo years.
7. Eggplant has a bitter taste when eaten raw.
Eggplant is a fruit that can really benefit us in so many ways so I encourage you to give this fruit a try and fill up on those most need vitamins that will do your body a whole lot of good.
Tomatoes are one of my favorites, in fact, tomatoes are a fruit and not a veggie as most people think. I love using tomatoes in salads, steam foods and on sandwiches.
There are many varieties of tomatoes but no matter how different they are in shape, size and color this fruit is filled with nutrients that can really give our bodies the jump start that it needs.
For those who may not want to feast on these fruits, there is another alternative and that is drinking the juice itself that is also of great benefit.
What makes tomato juice so inviting is the vitamins and benefits they offer. Tomato juice is filled with antioxidants that aid the body in getting rid of free radical so that our bodies can stay in the best possible health ever.
Here are some other benefits of what can happen when tomato juice is included in our diet
Tomato juice health benefits
1. Tomato juice aids in good bowel movement.
2. Tomato juice can help to combat cancer.
3. Tomato juice aids in weight loss.
4. Helps to lower cholesterol.
5. The iron that is found in tomato juice helps to promote healthy hair growth.
6. Want radiant younger looking skin then tomato juice is what you need.
7. Strengthens bones.
8. Improves the immune system.
9. Prevents gallbladder and kidney stones.
10. Aids in eye health.
11. Helps to prevent blood clotting.
There are so many benefits of adding tomato juice to your diet and what is even more awesome is that you can grow these fruits right in your home garden that will not cost you much just some tender loving care and the rewards of what tomato juice offer cannot be compared.
So give these fruits a try and give your body the help that it needs with these amazing fruits.