A SUPERFOOD THAT IS SO DELICIOUS
As a child growing up there was a cherry tree next to our home where my family lived that served us well for many years as we harvest loads of cherries each summer. My brother who is older than I am liked climbing this tree and being the younger brother I always followed him.
We spent many summers feasting on cherries along with our friends from the neighborhood. Childhood memories oh so sweet. In this article, we will be looking at the benefits of cherries. There are many types of cherries that are grown in many parts of the world. Some of these include
- North Star
- Sweet Heart
- Black Stone
These are just a few of the many that are grown on a wide scale.
Cherry Nutrition Facts
Cherries are used in so many products from candies, gums, jellies, pastries, cake, donuts, muffins, and so on. But what is even more amazing is the vitamins these fruits contain and the benefits they have.
Vitamins that are found in cherries
Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Dietary Fiber, Protein, Niacin, Thiamin, Copper, Phosphorus, Zinc, Manganese, Carotene-B, Carotene-a and Lutein-zeaxanthi.
Health benefits of cherries
- Aids in weight loss
- Promotes healthy hair
- Lowers blood pressure
- Promotes heart health
- Promotes healthy skin
- Relieves muscle soreness
- Provide relief from arthritis
- Fights against cancer
- Cherries are loaded with antioxidants to help the body get rid of free radicals
- Studies have shown that drinking cherry juice may help to lower cholesterol
- Help to reduce the risk of stroke
- Aids in the fight against diabetes
- Reduces belly fat
- Has anti-aging properties
These are only a few of the many benefits of including cherries in your diet.
Cherry Nutrition Facts
Some tips on how to store cherries
1. Cherries can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator. They can be placed in plastic bags, remember to remove the air so they can maintain their freshness.
2. If storing at room temperature cherries should be consumed in 2-3 days.
3. Keep cherries dry at all times, the only time to wash cherries if you are going to eat them right away. Washing cherries and allowing them to sit for more than a day or two will cause cherries to turn mushy.
4. When placing in the fridge ensure they are in a plastic bag because storing cherries in an open container next to other foods such as onion, garlic, etc.. will cause cherries to have that taste. Can you imagine eating cherries that taste like onion or garlic?
Cherries are a superfood that can do wonders from exciting our taste buds to boosting our bodies with those much-needed vitamins also promoting natural healing. So give these superfoods a try and receive all the benefit these fruits offers.