How to Clean a Garbage Disposal
A garbage disposal can make our lives easier but in order to keep our disposal functioning properly there are some dos and don’ts to follow. A garbage disposal that’s not properly maintained will not only run badly but food particles that are not ground properly will get trapped and over time will cause your garbage disposal to emanate a foul odor. If this is your experience continue reading as we discuss cleaning garbage disposal the right way.
How to Clean Your Garbage Disposal?
- Turn off your garbage disposal and disconnect the garbage disposal plug from the power source
- With the help of a flashlight look down the drain to ensure there are no objects that may be trapped in the grinder
- If there is an object that’s trapped use long-nose pliers or tongs to remove the object/objects
- If you must put your hand into the grinder again ensure that the power to your garbage disposal is off, as a safety measure you may want to flip the breaker that’s connected to the kitchen area to ensure that the power is off completely
- Place rubber gloves on your hands and being very careful reach inside of the drain to move the object/objects, proceed with caution around the blades of the grinder
- Once the objects are removed reconnect your disposal, plug the sink and fill it half of the way with hot water, now turn on the garbage disposal until all of the water flushes through
- Turn off your garbage disposal and disconnect the power again
- Use an old toothbrush or a long-handled scrub brush with a head that’s narrow, to clean the inside of the garbage disposal. Wet the head of the brush with warm water and then add a tiny amount of dish liquid that cuts grease. Now carefully move the brush around to catch or reach all of the surfaces inside the garbage disposal.
- Next, remove the brush and reconnect the garbage disposal and flush again with hot water as described
- Now pour 2 cups of ice and 1 cup of rock salt or kosher into the garbage disposal, turn on the disposal and allow it to run on cold water, make sure that your garbage disposal is running while the ice cub and salt grounds
How to Freshen Your Garbage Disposal?
- To freshen your garbage disposal sprinkle half-cup of baking soda into the garbage disposal opening, now pour in a cup of white vinegar and allow it to sit for about 10-12 minutes. Next, turn on the garbage disposal and allow the water to rinse away the baking soda
- Cut citrus fruits can also be used instead of vinegar and baking soda, to do this cut up a handful of citrus peels for example orange, lemon-lime, or some other type of citrus
- Now remove some of the white pith and throw them in the trash can, next feed the peels through the grinder a few strips at a time while running cold water from the tap
How to Properly Maintain a Garbage Disposal?
To ensure that your garbage disposal is properly maintained follow these steps.
- When getting rid of garbage waste ensure that a little is grind at a time instead of trying to grind everything all at once, grind no more than a cup of food debris at a time
- Follow the manufactures direction and place in your garbage disposal only that which is mentioned and the amount at a time, other than that don’t put anything else
- Do not dispose of cooking oil down the drain because once this oil gets cold it’s going to harden and in turn will clog your disposal
- Make sure and run water when using your garbage disposal to completely wash away food waste and particles
- Every week or once a month clean your garbage disposal with either disposal cleaner or a mixture of hot water, vinegar, and baking soda
- Allow the garbage disposal to run until there is no more sound of food grinding, then allow it to run for about 5 seconds longer to remove smaller food particles
What Debir should be Avoided from your Garbage Disposal
- Fibrous vegetable
- Seeds and pits
- Potato peel
- Bread, pasta, and rice
- Product stickers
- Broken glass
- Coffee ground
- Shells and nuts
- Certain types of grease
- Sticky or starchy foods
- Large animal bones
The final word on cleaning garbage disposal the right way
A garbage disposal is a great tool that can make our kitchen work easier, let’s do all that we can to ensure that your disposal is operating smoothly and smelling fresh at all times. Following these steps or the manufacturer’s direction will keep your garbage disposal in tip-top shape at all times.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.