Get in on the Secret of Container Garden Success
Container gardening has become so popular because these garden types make it possible to grow a garden in just about any space. If you don’t have sufficient yard space maybe because you may be living in an apartment, condo, or in a position where your space is limited the good news is with some taught and with the right information you can have that garden that you have dreamed off.
What I love about growing edibles is that it does not only give us the opportunity to connect with nature but saving our hard-earned dollars as we grow healthy food crops with our very own hands if what I am saying excites you then let’s have a closer look at how this is done. What we will be looking at also is the disadvantages of these types of gardens and how we can resolve those issues to have much success reaping a good harvest of our labor.
Starting with a Plan
So you’ve decided to grow your edibles but the problem is you don’t have the space this has been the issue of so many but the good news is you can work around those issues and have a garden that you can be so proud of. Starting with a plan is the first step in the right direction by deciding to grow your veggies with the help of containers.
While I must caution you however that container gardening also has some additional requirements that must be met in order to have much success. These requirements include.
- Soil type
- Watering methods
- Fertilizing methods
- Controlling plant pests
- Avoiding plant disease
Starting weed seeds or seedlings that are healthy is so important in getting you off to a good start. Seeds/Seedlings that are of poor quality will cause issues to arise from the get-go and what we want is the process of growing these garden types as easily as possible.
Seeds or seedlings should not have and off-color, in the case of seedlings should have a healthy appearance, there should be no signs of insects, disease which may include signs of rot, yellowing, spindly growth looking leggy, seedlings that begins to wilt because of a lack of water or too much water the soil is saturated or waterlogged, seedlings that may be sold at an extra-low price that sounds so good to past up, seedlings that start to decay at the soil level and leave that curl under. These are just some of the signs to look for, avoid seedlings that have these signs.
When gardening outdoors, as well as indoors the right location, is a must to have success. All garden plants needs and have their light requirements to thrive. When placing your containers ensure that the area where you are making the installation has sufficient lighting for the type of crops you’re growing.
If containers are to be stored indoors and you don’t have sufficient lighting the use of grow lights will help greatly. Grow lights once installed will give your edibles the proper illumination that is needed for them to grow healthy.
Know the veggie size you are growing once they reach maturity, this will give you an idea of the pot size that will not only fit in that area but the size containers to chose that will accommodate or have your veggies sitting comfortably providing them with space the need to grow healthy. The containers that are chosen should have drain holes for water drainage.
Good garden soil is needed when seeking to grow healthy edibles, the soil that is used should be able to hold moisture but will allow proper drainage. Organic soils or compost are ideal especially when growing edible plants.
Water plays an important part in the health of garden plants all plants need water to survive but too much water will cause a decline. Get to know the watering needs of your garden plants and water according to their requirements.
Fertilizers for your vegetable garden
Fertilizers will help to provide plant nutrients, organic fertilizers are ideal for edible. Some of these fertilizers include fish emulsion, cottonseed meal, seaweed, organic garden fertilizers, etc…
Controlling plant pests
Garden insect pests will invite themselves into our gardens seeking to reap a harvest before we can. The first rule to successfully bringing these pests under control is the proper identification followed by the right choice treatment. Because we are growing edibles the right choice of pesticides should be organics because we are growing food crops or we can try these homemade remedies, if you had rather purchase them here are a few that are available. Neem oil, Horticultural oil, Bacillus thurienesis (BT) Spinosad, insecticidal soap.
Avoiding plant disease
Keeping an eye out for diseases is vital to the health and survival of your veggies, proper identification and the right treatment will help your edible plants bounce back to good health.
Making it Fun
Make growing your veggies from containers fun by painting the containers or better yet if you have kids draw funny faces and get them involved. This is a great way to teach kids about plants and the benefits they offer especially edible plants.
Hanging baskets make a great planter, what I love about hanging baskets is that these garden types can be installed just about anywhere it’s just a matter of finding space to hang your baskets and you have created a hanging basket garden. These garden types can be so much fun for more on how this is done refer to the link that has been provided.
Issues with Container Gardening and how to Solve them
1. Container-grown plants are killed either by overwatering or underwatering more than anything else that’s why it’s so important to know your plants watering requirements and give them what they need.
2. I prefer to use organics vs synthetic fertilizer, organic is all-natural which is much safer because we’re growing edibles and if you’re using synthetics quick-release incorrectly will damage your vegetables.
3. Good garden soil is ideal, the wrong soil type will encourage a crop that is far from healthy defeating the purpose of growing healthy crops.
4. The use of small containers can limit the amount of water your vegetables need which can cause a setback so the container that’s chosen should equal or be larger than the plant at maturity.
5. Because garden plants are limited or restricted to the container they are grown n care should always be taken to ensure they are getting adequate water along with nutrients to keep them healthy.
Some vegetables that can be grown in containers
1. Sweet potatoes.
The Benefits of a Container Garden
Here some reason why you should consider a container garden
1. With a container garden, you can always move your container to a more secure location when the weather is not favorable.
2. Fewer weeds mean less work saving time.
3. Garden pest’s issues are limited.
4. Diseases are limited.
5. Container gardens can be combined with an existing garden.
6. Container gardens are low maintenance and can give you savings on the amount of water/fertilizers that are used.
7. You don’t have to hire anyone to take care of your garden because you can do it yourself.
8. There is a lower risk of wildlife making a meal out of your plants and becoming a nuisance.
9. These garden types are beginner-friendly.
10. No need to till the soil which can be laborious in a traditional garden setting.
11. Get kids involved and teach them about the importance of growing their own foods.
The final word
Creating an edible garden from containers is a great way to garden in small spaces, these garden types have made it possible to have the garden that you always wanted. Having a garden of this sort is a great way not only to garden above the ground but growing edible foods that are filled with vitamins and beneficial to our health so go for it and make good use out of that space as you grow healthy foods which are nature’s pharmacy so with that said let’s grow healthy, eat healthy and live longer.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.