Detoxing your lungs the Natural Way
The functions of the lungs
The purpose of our lungs is to take in oxygen. As we inhale our lungs take in this oxygen which is carried by the blood to cells that are in our bodies if our lungs cannot carry out their functions the rest of our organs will not function properly which will cause a breakdown and that spells bad news. While this post is not on the anatomy of the lungs we will be discussing ways in keeping our lungs healthy and strong.
Maintaining a healthy lung in this day and time is a challenge because there are factors that we can’t control. The environment, as well as our homes, are filled with toxins and pollution.
This is a growing concern that has been going on for many years and what is even more disturbing is there seems to be an increase in pollution so the question is how can we counter-attack to keep our lungs healthy and strong?
At one time it was believed persons which smoked got lung cancer but studies have shown that secondary smoke is one of the mean causes of cancer, in fact, many years ago research also showed that persons who are exposed to secondary smoke are more likely to have cancer than those which actually smoke.
This was a surprise to me because I thought the person who actually smoked was more at risk. Now don’t get me wrong I am not endorsing smoking because smoking is a bad habit that kills.
What I also found so surprising is there are many products in our homes that seem user-friendly but the truth is these products are doing much damage to our lungs. Products such as paints and I am sure a lot of persons will be getting a fresh paint job done to their homes seeing Christmas is several weeks away.
While that fresh coat of paint may look beautiful the scent that comes from these paints is not good for our lungs. Papers, oven, toilet bowl and other cleaning products can be harmful, air freshener which was such a surprise to me, pieces of furniture, dry-cleaned clothes, and so on can be damaging to our lungs.
So it seems nearly impossible not to come in contact with these toxins when they are all around us even at our workplace. The question again is what can we do to at least help our lungs from being poisoned?
Detox Your Lungs With Plants
10 Plants That Brings Natural Healing
Below we will be looking at a list of plants that can bring natural healing keeping our lungs healthy and functioning at their best.
1. Thyme is a herb that can really give your food recipes that much needed flavors. But what I have come to discover is beside its great taste thyme can also be used to detox our lungs.
The antiseptic oils that thyme produces are said to be a natural antibiotic that helps to remove impurities helping to keep the lungs functioning at their best.
2. Sweet Potatoes have such a unique flavor. I love to include this veggie in my soups that’s so delicious but besides its amazing taste sweet potatoes are a rich source of beta-carotene that helps to fight against lung cancer. When preparing sweet potatoes do not overcook because of the loss of this important( beta-carotene) compound.
3. Eucalyptus compounds or ingredients are used in cough lozenges and syrups to bring relief to coughs and chest congestion. But what I also found out about these herbs is it also helps to promote lung health. The compound that makes this herb so great is cineole.
4. Green tea has made its mark and has proven to work wonders. Green tea is high or rich in antioxidants which helps to promote lung health.
5. Ginger has a unique flavor and is used in many food recipes and teas but do you know that this herb can also be used to eliminate toxins from our lungs.
6. Cranberry juice is known for fighting against urinary tract infections but this juice also acts as a lung cleanser so include cranberry juice in your diet for healthier lungs.
7. I love the aroma of peppermint and the taste is very refreshing, I am sure you will agree. Peppermint is also used as a lung cleanser, in fact, it is suggested that chewing on a few leaves on a regular can help to cleanse the lungs.
8. Squeezing a quart of lemon juice in a glass of warm water acts as a lung cleanser.
9. I love pineapple juice. This juice tastes really great when chilled. Drinking pineapple juice a few times a week promotes lung health.
10. Oregano has a great flavor that will spruce up your food recipes. The compounds which are found in this herb have been known to promote the respiratory tract a well as aiding in a better nasal flow.
The POWER of indoor plants
Many years ago I worked as an interior plantscape designer at a five-star resort which brought me in contact with so many people from around the world. Besides designing and installing plants my responsibility was to also maintain them.
But what I did not know and discovered years later was these plants that transformed the interior were also natural air purifiers by pulling toxins out of the air filtering these toxins through their root system.
Again we see the power of plants that can help promote lung health. For more on these plants and installing them in your home to filter toxins from the air follow this link. Cleaning the air that we breathe.
The Final word
Our lungs play an important part in our health so we should do all that we can to ensure we have healthy lungs by taking advantage of those plants which bring natural cleansing and healing.
Let’s be good to our lungs by giving it what it needs because when we take care of our lungs, our lungs will take care of us by helping in keeping us healthy and strong.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.