Creating a garden paradise with edible plants
In this article we will be looking at how to create garden designs with edible plants, can you imagine having a garden design where most of it was edible, this would be a unique garden that would provide you with fresh foods throughout the year.
Edible garden benefits
Follow this link to learn about the vitamin content of herbs. The healing wonders of herbs, nature’s wonder.
There are many benefits to this type of garden:
1. You will be growing your own foods so you don’t have to worry about consuming foods that are chemically grown.
2. $ave money by growing these edibles.
3. You will be growing foods that are rich in Vitamins and foods that can help to fight many illnesses.
4. Having a sense of pride. Just to stand back and to take in the full scene of what your hands have created, to be enjoyed by families and friends.
5. When picking foods from your garden you are sure they are fresh.
6. Getting the needed exercise by working in your garden, both physical and mental.
7. Helping to keep the environment clean by using organic pesticides or homemade solutions in your garden.
8. Growing a harvest to share with families and friends.
9. What about educating and encourage families and friends about the benefits of having an organic garden, they can also follow your advice on creating an edible garden of their own, having the same experience.
10. Getting to enjoy the outdoors working with nature.
Here is an example of some herbs that can be planted. Follow this link on how to grow herbs.
In order for this type of garden design to be a success, you will need to make sure that the areas to be planted get a least 5-6 hours of sunlight along with good garden soil. These garden designs can be installed in the following areas.
- Patios and Porches- Planting in decorative pots and hanging baskets
- Along walkways
- Under living and dining room windows
- Under kitchen windows
- How about constructing a nice rock garden somewhere in the area of the side of your house, the back area of your house, or somewhere in the front yard and instead of using plants for rock gardens such as cactus, bromeliads, other desert plants, etc… plant herbs. A rock garden of herbs, remember the goal is to create an edible garden and keep in mind 4-6 hours of sunlight along with good garden soil.
- Somewhere around your front and back door.
- If you have a pool along with planting beds around your pool, install herbs in these areas as long as the planting area is not that close to the pool but can still give that area a touch of class.
Here is another cool idea that can be tried, it makes good also for a herb garden. Raise bed gardening ideas.
Can you imagine instead of having a flower garden, having a garden full of herbs, freshly grown by your own hands, these are just a few ideas that you can try, I am sure you can come up with more, the goal is to plant as many edible plants within your garden areas
To give the impression that the whole garden is edible, even if it is not.
How to plant?
1. Plant herbs in clusters or masses.
2. Mix it up somewhat in some areas.
3. Plant-strong scented herbs like rosemary and chives under the kitchen windows, nothing like a strong aroma of these herbs coming through your kitchen window
4. Plant mint in masses near the living or front room window, it is good to get that fresh minty aroma in your front or living room.
5. Create a rock garden and plant different species of herbs in masses or clusters.
6. How about getting bold and daring, make a rock garden, and planting vegetables. For more on planting a vegetable garden follow this link.
7. How about creating a pathway using herbs that take you from one area of the yard and leads to another area of let’s say a vegetable garden, fruit tree(s), or even more herbs.
8. Place hanging baskets on your porch or patio providing that you get about 5-6 hours of sunlight and planting basil, chives, rosemary, etc…. in these baskets.
9. Purchase a few decorative pots such as clay or plastic pots place on patio or porch and plant herbs in them. Imagine relaxing in these areas on a cool summer evening and the nice aroma of basil, chives, rosemary, mint, etc…. filling the air as the breeze blows gently. Here are some examples of container gardening just follow this link.
10. Plant herbs around the border of your porch or patio areas.
There are so many edible plants, the ones listed here are just a few among the many that you can try. Remember always get information on what type of edible plants you are working with such as 1. Height and spread of the plant, 2. Soil type which in most cases is that good garden soil, 3. Amount of sunlight needed, 4. Water requirements, 5. Fertilizers 6. Pest issues. Organic pesticides are safe and effective to use on edible gardens. To learn more about organic pesticides, organic fertilizer and organic gardening follow these links.
The final word
Creating an edible garden in this fashion is awesome and you get the added benefits of beauty, creating a garden design, growing plants that are edible, plants that are filled with vitamins, and plants that can help our bodies to fight the different type of illness and heal much faster, and the edible garden is a good choice, so let’s get adventurous and get those creative juices flowing as we create an edible garden that can add that touch of class.