Growing Flowers Inside
12 flowering plants to grow indoors
Transforming your Interior into a Garden Paradise
Bring nature indoors by transforming your interior with a burst of colors as you create a garden paradise that is so inviting. Why should we limited the use of garden plants outdoors when they can and do serve so many benefits indoors. I remembered many years ago the apartment I lived in had gotten some plants which I installed on the inside and what a change it brought as I stepped back, the presence of these garden plants changed the atmosphere, the appearance along with the feel was pretty amazing.
In this article, we will be looking at 12 such flowering plants that can be grown inside as you transform your interior into a garden paradise, installing indoor plants will also clean the air that you breathe as it pulls toxins out of the air. Investing in indoor plants is a great way to connect with nature besides these other benefits with that said let’s take a closer look at 12 flowering plants that can be grown indoors.
Growing Flowers Inside
1. I want to start with my all-time favorites which are bromeliads, there are said to be some 2,700 of these species that are used both out and indoors. As an interior plant scape designer at my former workplace, I worked on many garden projects that involved different species of bromeliads. What I love about bromeliads is their ease of care besides their beautiful flower bloom. There are also many species that don’t put forth flowers but the leaves are colorful and will give good results, Bromeliads performs well in bright indirect light with a soil that’s somewhat moist. Brightening up your interior with these garden beauties will wonders.
2. The peace lily produces beautiful white flowers that sit atop long slender stocks, I have worked with these plants and just love the flavor they bring. The large green foliage of this garden beauty is an added benefit that will highlight the white flowers, a word of caution however the peace lily is classified as a high maintenance plant so care should be taken for them to maintain their beauty, once they get adequate water they will do just fine. Placing peace lily in direct light will cause the leaves to burn, bright indirect light is preferred. The pest problems are low so consider the peace lily to bring that much-needed flavor.
3. Another favorite is impatiens, these annuals are usually grouped together in plant beds or around trees. Impatiens are shade-loving plants and can be purchased in an array of colors. When installing impatiens indoors locate in and area that gets full indirect sunlight so they can thrive. The room temperature can be anywhere from 50-55 F, the soil should be somewhat moist and not waterlogged don’t allow the soil to dry out completely.
Lady Jane or Anthurium
4. Anthurium or lady jane as it’s called is a favorite that I have worked with for many years, What I love about these garden beauties is they are hardy meaning they can go a while without water even though this is not a good idea the soil should be somewhat moist. Anthuriums produce multiple flowers that sit atop the tall stalks.
The flowers of anthurium come in colors of white, pink, orange, yellow, green, brown and blue. These garden beauties are so amazing and are worth the investment so make the lady jane a part of your life and I assure you that she will brighten your day and your world with her beautiful glow.
5. Begonias are elegant plants that can be grown both out and indoors and shoots beautiful flower bloom, care should be taken however because this elegant plant is fragile. When growing begonia indoors place in and area that gets indirect bright sunlight, the soil of begonias should be kept somewhat moist and not waterlogged. There are said to be about 1,800 species which is a large family, the more popular house begonias are Rieger Begonia, Angel-Wing Begonia, and Wax Begonia.
Begonias will give the colors you are looking for, these garden beauties have proven to get the job done investing in this garden beauty will give you flowers year-round.
6. Poinsettias are mostly put on display during the Christmas season, during the holiday time these garden beauties can light up the entire interior bringing with it the feeling of the season. I have worked with poinsettias during Christmas time placing them in offices, lobby areas and other parts of the five-star resort where I was employed. The color bloom can either be white, red, pink, yellow, salmon, purple or orange. My favorite color is red. For poinsettias to thrive their best do not overwater the soil should be somewhat moist, place in an area that gets indirect bright light.
For some, the thought is poinsettias are only for indoors but they can also be grown outdoors where they will continue to thrive. For more on the care of these Christmas, beauties refer to this link, how to take care of poinsettias.
7. Desert rose produces beautiful flower bloom with colors ranging from white, red and pink. This succulent plant can go weeks without water and still look their best even though its best to keep the soil somewhat moist. Desert rose dose will in a warm climate but poorly when the weather gets too cold. It’s best to keep desert rose in containers to move them round in sunny location or indoors when the temperature drops to freezing. When installing desert rose indoors place in and area that gets bright sunlight for them to take advantage of.
Crown of thorns
8. The crown of thorns produces small clusters of flowers that can either be red, yellow, creamy white or pink. The crown of thorns is considered to be a desert plant because of its hardiness when it comes to tolerating drought conditions. Be careful however because as bright and beautiful these plants will deliver a painful stick because of the many thrones that are displayed. When growing indoors allow the soil to dry out before giving another drink of water and place in an area that gets direct sunlight.
The crown of thorns will work wonders on the interior, the sap is said to be poisonous so avoid getting on your skin because it will cause irritation.
9. Orchids are very elegant and exotic plants that have so many colors, I have seen orchids that was so beautiful with colorful designs that they looked artificial. There are about 20 species of orchids, my favorites are the phalaenopsis and the dendrobiums which I have us on many interior plant scape projects.
Orchids can also be grown outdoors by growing from the trunks and branches of trees. When growing orchids indoor they need bright indirect light to thrive the potting medium should be allowed to dry out before applying very little water. The leaves should also be mists because they can also take in water with this method. Misting the leaves will increase the humidity that is an added benefit.
10. There are about 63 species of geraniums, these garden beauties are usually brought indoors where they are overwintered as potted plants during extremely cold weather but they can also be grown indoors providing flowers year-round. Once the requirements are met you will not have any problems
Place geraniums in and area that gets full sunlight, the soil should be allowed to dry out somewhat before giving geraniums another drink. The flower bloom of these garden beauties can be either red, pink, orange, purple, white and other shades. Your interior will come to life bursting with colors from these garden beauties.
11. The flowers of the petra croton are not showy at all, the beauty of these plants is in the colorful leaves which can light up any dull area. There are about 100 varieties with their stunning colors, two of my favorites are the petra and corkscrew croton. Care should be taken however because the leaves are easy to break.
When installing petra crotons indoors place in and area that gets full indirect light because direct light will cause the leaves to burn. The soil should be somewhat moist, allowing the soil to dry out completely will cause the leaves to wilt but once you give them sufficient water the leaves will become erected again. If the soil is to dry and leaves have really wilted then the leaves will be lost and in some cases the entire plant. If petra is given to much water then the leaves will also wilt and fall from the plant so monitor your croton ensuring they get the require water at all times.
12. There are more than 60 species of lilies that produce beautiful flower blooms among these lilies are the daylily that has stunning flowers. when growing the daylily indoors place in and area that gets about 6 hours of sunlight. The use of good potting soil is necessary, allow the soil to dry out somewhat before applying more water.
The daylily doesn’t like wet feet so don’t overwater, I am sure that a flowering plant like the daylily will bring that much-needed flavor as your interior lights up with these beauties that will work wonders.
1. You may have a few unwanted guests ( insect pests), the key to successfully eliminating insect pests is identifying and applying the right pesticide at the right amount. The use of insecticidal soap is popular when it comes to eliminating insect pests indoors, another source of information is to have a talk with your garden nurseryman.
2. Keep your indoor plants clean by misting the leaves with fresh water, the use of a feather duster will also remove dust.
3. The removal of dead leaves/ branches will keep your plants looking healthy.
4. Ensure that the container has drain holes for excess water to drain and a saucer to collect water.
5. The use of a slow-release or liquid feed fertilizer will benefit your plants greatly. Before using fertilizers read and follow the manufactures label.
6. Rotate your plant if one side seems to be healthier because of that side getting more light. The key is to have a healthy plant that is full with natural form.
The final word on growing flowers indoors
Bringing nature indoors by installing these garden beauties will brighten up your interior with their beautiful flower bloom as they remove harmful toxins from the air making it more- fit to breathe. I have worked with many of these plants on the inside and have seen the wonder they bring so go for it and connect with nature by bringing that touch of class to your interior you will be happy that you did as these garden beauties brighten your day.