Growing and caring for a Raspberry tree
Raspberries are very delicious and have so many great benefits. My fourth son loves these fruits, I remembered there were days when both he and I would walk by the neighbour’s house just so he could pick eat and enjoy those berries.
Then a few years later his mom brought home a raspberry tree for him. The tree was about a foot long or maybe a little shorter. Now 2 1/2-3 years later I am amazed to see how big this tree has grown.
In fact, this tree is so big that it now towers above our house, what was such a tiny tree has grown very tall with lots of delicious berries.
What is interesting to note here is that after she planted the tree all she did was tell him to give it water each day, that’s it just water. The soil that is on our property is that good garden loam.
Now for many of you, the conditions may be different, so what we will be looking at is the proper care of a raspberry tree.
1.locate and area that gets 6-8 hours of sunlight.
2. Make sure that the area is an open area because this plant can get pretty big both in height and diameter.
4. When choosing your raspberry tree make sure and look for signs of disease, insects, nutrition imbalance, check to see if it is root bound because this can cause a problem.
5. When installing your raspberry tree the planting hole should be twice that of the root ball in diameter. So it the root ball is 2 feet in diameter then the planting hole should be 4 feet in diameter. This extra space will allow your plant not only to be installed easier but your raspberry tree will establish faster.
6. When installing do not plant too deeply, the plant should be installed where only the entire root ball is in the ground, from the stem up should be above ground.
7. After installing plant, backfill with sub-soil and firm keeping plant erect.
8. Water plant, give it a good soaking. This soaking will help to settle the soil as well as give your raspberry plant a good drink.
9. Allow soil to dry a bit between watering because raspberry doesn’t like wet feet.
Fertilizing your Raspberries
Your berries will be ready to harvest when the fruit has that rich colour. Also, another way of testing is to gently squeeze, tasting can also help with this.
The final word
Raspberries make an excellent choice and will provide you with all that needed vitamin so why not plant a tree of your own. Growing your very own raspberry tree is really neat because you will have all of that goodness at your fingertip