Hameln Dwarf Fountain Grass
Learn how to care for the hameln dwarf fountain grass
The world of ornamental plants are just simply amazing and the good part is there is so much to choose from so there is something for everyone. Ornamental grasses have taken the spotlight for many years and these grasses are continuing to gain recognition by many garden designers and homeowners. What I love about these grasses is their ease of growth and how so many of them are drought resistant along with having no major garden pest and disease issues.
These grasses will make an added feature for low maintenance gardens for the homeowner who is always on the go, want a garden but don’t have time to maintain them, a garden that will save both time and money, adding ornamental grasses is a benefit you don’t want to miss out on. In this article however will be discussing another ornamental grass which has made its mark, this grass is the hameln dwarf grass so if you are interested then continue reading as we take a closer look at this garden beauty.
Hameln dwarf fountain grass
The hameln dwarf fountain grass I believe is a must have grass, the foliage (leaves) of this garden beauty turns a rust color in the autumn and blonde in the winter. The grass blades can grow up to 3 ft tall with a width span of 2 ft with beautiful plumes that are soft which will cause this plant to stand out in a garden design. This grass thrives in zones 5-9.
When installing these grasses look for a location that gets full sun although they can survive in partially shaded areas.
These grasses can thrive in a variety of soil from sandy, dry to loam soils. But prefer a soil that is well-drained soil.
When first install water your hameln grass twice a week, once establish you can discontinue watering and water only when the plant shows stress in drought condition.
Fertilize your hameln grass with balanced plant food. Before applying fertilizers read and follow the manufacturer’s label because the label is the law.
Garden insect pests of the hameln dwarf fountain grass
Garden plant pests is not a concern with this ornamental grass.
Disease of the hameln dwarf fountain grass
There is no major known disease of this grass.
Ideas on where to install the hameln dwarf fountain grass
Here are just a few ideas were to install your dwarf fountain grass.
1. These grasses can be installed and used as a backdrop in a garden bed.
2. Installing them along a fence will work wonders.
3. Planting your hameln dwarf fountain grass along a wall will look truly amazing.
4. Installing these grasses near a pond will give that wow.
5. Place some of these grasses along a garden path walkway.
Mulching your hameln dwarf fountain grass
Adding a 2- 3-inch layer of mulch will not only have your dwarf fountain grass looking great but adding 2-3 inch layer of mulch will help to suppress weeds, retain moisture, and as the mulch decomposes will add nutrients to the soil.
To keep your hameln dwarf fountain grass looking its best follow these tips
1. Because the blades of these grass are sharp and can cause injury wearing garden gloves that are strong but comfortable is a must.
2. Wearing a long sleeve shirt will also help.
3. The use of a hedge trimmer or sharp pruning shears is a must for this procedure.
4. Cut back or prune the foliage ( leaves) 3 inches above the grown.
5. For a cleaner look remove any clippings that may have fallen in between the grass blades with your hand, provided you’re wearing gloves.
A great way to grow these ornamental grasses is with the help of containers. The container that is used should be large enough for your plants to sit comfortably and have drain holes to allow excess water to drain through. The soil should be well drained along with holding the right amount of water. Place your container in an area that gets full to partial sun and water moderately. The container can be placed on your porch or patio or in an area where your plant can take full advantage of the sunlight.
In cases where it is extremely hot water your hameln grass more often as it shows sign of water stress. Fertilize with a balance plan food, Don’t over water because this can lead to root rot.
1. This fountain grass is deer resistance.
2. Attracts birds.
3. Is used as cut flowers.
4. The hameln dwarf fountain grass is not known to be invasive.
5. The edges of the grass blades are sharp.
6. Divide the clumps every 5-10 years and plant the divisions.
The final word
The hameln dwarf fountain grass is so amazing this low maintenance beauty is a must for the homeowner that is consistently on the go wanting to connect with nature by having a garden but not having the time to perform garden maintenance. This grass is a show stopper that will go to work for you taking the hassle out of garden maintenance while bringing the enhancement that you need. If this describes you then this is the plant for you. Go ahead and make this fountain grass a part of your garden design and enjoy the beauty they bring.