Healthy Diet On A Budget
Affording the best on a low budget
We’re living in a day and time where many persons are becoming health conscious. At every turn, it seems as if there is a call to change our lives by making decisions that will promote our health.
The airwaves, books, magazines, newspapers and other sources are sounding the alarm to take control of our health for longevity. Health stores are popping up everywhere, Food stores, pharmacies and other stores are stocking their shelves with products that promise to have us looking and feeling years younger.
Many are hitting the gym, joining workout groups and so on from every age and gender, also there are programs that are creating workout systems that promise to help us get in the best shape ever. While all of this may be good for promoting one’s health there is a concern of affording a healthy lifestyle.
I have visited Food and health stores an have been blown away by their high prices. Living healthy is costly and for many, living a healthy life same to be impossible or is it.
The question is what can we do to eat healthy without breaking the piggy bank? we cannot afford not to eat healthy because our health is one of our greatest investment and we must do all that we can to promote a healthy lifestyle.
Below are some cool tips that can have you eating healthy on a low budget.
Healthy diet on a budget
Tips on eating healthy on a low budget
1. Fruits and vegetables-fruits and vegetables are filled with vitamins and have so many benefits. It is good to go all natural by loading up on some of natures best.
Fruits and veggies can be pretty costly and because of these high prices have discouraged persons from including them in their diet, the good news is making purchases from your local farmers market or keeping an eye out for when there is a sale can help in stocking up on these produce.
2. Gardening-starting a home garden is a great way to grow fruits and veggies. Consider growing some of them and the rest can be purchased, this way you can save on your shopping list.
Many homeowners are realizing the importance of growing fruits and vegetables an because of this, they are providing space in their gardens to grow these produce. Don’t have that extra space, not a problem. Think outside the box and create a container garden that is just as good or what about starting a plastic bottle garden which has become very popular.
3. Coupons-This is an excellent way to save money and get two for the price of one. Coupons are really great and you will be surprised at the amounts of money that can be saved allowing you to have that extra in your pocket which can go a long way.
4. Herbs-we can’t forget herbs, herbs have many benefits and can really flavour our foods. Many years ago a nurses advice to me was adding more herbs will flavour foods while cutting back on salt. This advice has stuck with me throughout the years and I have taken full advantage of these natural healers.
Starting your homegrown herb garden can save a few$$$$$$. For more on starting a herb garden follow the link that has been provided. How to start a herb garden.
5. Junk foods-this is a big one for many and that is cutting out the junk foods. I don’t want you to get angry with me at this point and shut me off, just hear me out I beg you. Thanks so much for allowing me space to talk on this topic.
I must agree that junk foods do taste great, especially when we’re sitting down to Superbowl Sunday, the NBA playoffs, Baseball etc… just to kick back and relax cheering for our favourite teams.
Eating all that junk will not only show in your outfit sizes but also those extra pounds. The story is told of an individual who was so overweight when he went on the scale that the scale said “one at a time”. We don’t want the scale saying that about us so let’s cut the junk foods. Healthy snacks are much preferred because piling on the junk can work against your health and (doctor fees) wallet.
A childhood friend that I knew died at the age of 41, this was last year sometime. He had gained so much weight because of eating so many junk foods, despite the doctor’s warning, he continued that lifestyle and unfortunately met his demise. The junk foods are still here but he is gone. Junk foods may taste great but don’t risk it at the cause of your health. Beside junk foods has very little nutrition, packed with unhealthy ingredients and the money that is spent on junk foods do add up.
6. Eating a balance meal-whether breakfast, lunch or dinner eating a well-balanced diet will keep you full until your next meal rather than eating a meal that is not balanced which will cause you to eat between meals that is not good for your health as well as being a drain on your wallet.
7. Eating at home is a great choice, while it may be alright every now and again to eat out, limiting the number of times you eat out will save a few $$$$$. Besides preparing your meals at home is great because you’re preparing these meals yourself you know how your meals are being prepared.
8. Plan your meals- for some this may seem to be a bit tedious but with practice, it will not seem like a lot of work. By planning your meals for each day of the week will help unneeded spending and planning ahead will take all of the work out off figuring what to eat each day.
9. Including generic brand-including, some generic brands can also work wonders. The advantage of buying generic is you get to save a few $$$$$$.
10. Impulse shoppers-stick to the plan, impulse shopping will cause you to spend more than was budgeted for.
11. Whole grains-stocking up on whole grains is not only healthy but filling which means a fuller stomach which equals to less spending.
12. One stop shop-what I mean by this is trying to shop at one place because driving around can rack up that gas bill. This extra money can go towards something else.
13. Freezing leftovers-frozen leftovers is an excellent way to cut that shopping list. Why throw away what can be reused to create a delicious meal.
14. Organizing things-keeping your fridge and pantry well organize can help save money, a cluttered fridge and pantry can hide foods you already have so watch your spending by keeping a well organize fridge and pantry.
15. Buying and freezing-purchasing fresh produce, while they are in season, is a great way to save those hard earned dollars. Look for deals where you can buy two for the price of one.
16. Buying wholesale-Buying in bulk is a great way to save your hard earned $$$$. Shopping every week can drain your wallet. Buying in bulk will cause you to save overtime. Also when buying in bulk look for sales.
17. Online retailers-the internet has made it so easy, we can shop without having to leave the comfort of our homes so look for an online retailer with affordable prices.
18. Customer card-customer cards are a blessing, there are stores that offer these cards to collect points which will allow you the chance to win free groceries.
19. Discounts-inquiring about discounts is a great way to stretch that hard earned dollar.
20. Shopping when you’re hungry-research has shown that shopping, while you’re hungry, can cause a person to buy more high-calorie foods.
21. Discounted meats-look for meats that are discounted and stock up on them. Ensure however that these meats are fresh. Look for signs of discolouration, texture as far as softness is a concern and using your nose to see if meats have and off sent.
22. Take your lunch with you-you will be amazed by the amounts of monies that are being spent on lunch. Consider preparing your lunch, this will save money besides making it the way you want it and that is the healthy way.
23. Breakfast on the run-these day’s families barely spent time together during the first part of the morning while children are getting ready for school or sleeping during summer breaks, parents are preparing for work which means in some case no time for breakfast but rather buying something to eat while heading to the office.
This spending can add up. It is good to take time to eat breakfast together as a family which is a great start in the morning spending that bonding time beside saving a few dollars.
Getting a little junk in
I don’t want to sound like I am contradicting my self but getting a little junk food in to appease your craving may not be bad but keep in mind that moderation is the key.
Every now and again is ok but again self-control is the key. There is something about humans that spurs them out of curiosity to try something new or different some may call it not letting eating healthy become boring.
While breaking into something new may be exciting for a change always think moderation and keep it that way. Always avoid the temptation of not exercising self-control remember it is your health and you want to live the best life ever by staying healthy and fit.
Tips on eating healthy on a low budget
The final word
In a world where the cost of living is on the rise eating healthy has become a challenge for many, the good news is all is not lost. Through proper planning, you can stretch that hard earn dollar while eating healthy.
Following these tips will help you to put together a list that will make it possible to eat healthy on a low budget. Who says that eating healthy has to cause you to break the piggy bank. With these low budget tips, both you and your family will enjoy eating healthy on a low budget.