Hibiscus Medicinal Plant
- Written by: Norman
- Category: Garden Ornamental Plants, Shrubs, Bulbs, Bromeliads And Ground Covers
- Published: July 4, 2018
A flowering plant that brings natural healing
The hibiscus is a tropical plant that produces beautiful colorful flowers. These flowers come in an array of sizes and shapes depending on the species. Hibiscus is great to use as hedges and as a specimen plant which I call a show stopper, in other words, they can really stand out making an amazing impact. Here where I live in the Bahamas the hibiscus plant is used widely by many of the natives.
I have worked with these plants on many garden projects and have created such beautiful designs.
The four variety of hibiscus plants include
- Perennial hibiscus
- Annual hibiscus
- Hardy hibiscus
- Tropical Hibiscus
Hibiscus medicinal plant
Names of hibiscus
There are so many names of the hibiscus plants that it would be time-consuming to list them all but here are a few some of them you may know.
- Joanna hibiscus
- Red hot hibiscus
- Rose of Sharon
- Rock hibiscus
- Rose mallow hibiscus
- Hibiscus cannabinus
- Beach beauty hibiscus
- Secret heart hibiscus
- Lord Baltimore
This list can go on and on with the many names of the hibiscus plant
Growth and care of the hibiscus plant
Hibiscus is not hard to grow and maintain at all and basically, go for themselves once they are established. Hibiscus can be grown from cuttings or propagation. Hibiscus can be purchased in various sizes which can then be transplanted in your garden.
- Good organic soil will do your hibiscus plants a whole lot of good
- A sunny location. Because hibiscus is tropical plants a sunny location is a must to have success.
- The soil ph should be 6.5
- Keep soil moist not waterlogged
- Use a 17-5-24 fertilizer or check with your garden home center to see what is available
- There are many Insect pests of the hibiscus which includes, thrips, mealybugs, scales, aphids
- Hibiscus can be grown as shrubs or standard plants depending on how they are pruned
Hibiscus shrubs and Standard hibiscus
Hibiscus medicinal plant
What makes this plant so great besides it many beautiful flowers is the hibiscus plant has healing properties which can benefit us in so many ways. I believe that a plant like a hibiscus plant with its array of beautiful flowers and its healing wonders makes this plant a must-have in every home garden.
Hibiscus plant a natural healer
Here are some amazing facts about the healing wonders of the hibiscus plant that I am sure will benefit you in so many ways.
Note: Check with your doctor first before using hibiscus for health or medical purposes.
1. Hibiscus has been known to help cure sunburns and acne. Make a paste from the hibiscus plant by crushing both the flowers and the leaves. Apply the paste to the affected area, let sit for 10-12 minutes and then rinse with fresh water.
2. Washing your hair in hibiscus will stimulate blood circulation, also your hair follicles will receive nutrients that promote hair growth.
3. It is said that many cultures make tea from the hibiscus. Bringing water to a boil, pour boiling water in a cup, place 2 tbsp of petals in a cup and allow to sit for 10 minutes then strain and drink.
4. This tea is believed to maintain blood pressure.
5. Hibiscus tea aids in the fight against cancer.
6. This tea is said to lower your cholesterol.
7. Hibiscus tea is known to relieve menstrual cramps.
8. This tea is said to improve the digestive system.
9. Hibiscus is used in many skincare products to promote healthy skin.
10. Some cultures have reported using hibiscus to relieve constipation.
11. Hibiscus tea has been reported to help fight the fever.
12 Hibiscus tea helps to rid the body of toxin.
13. The vitamins in hibiscus have a calming effect on the brain and the body.
14. It is believed that hibiscus tea can help to fight liver disease.
15. Hibiscus tea may help to calm the nerve because of its calm effect on the brain.
Honestly, this list can get a whole lot longer with the many benefits of the hibiscus tea. This is just to give an idea of how beneficial this tea is.
As you can see the hibiscus plants has been used by many to bring about cures and relief. The beauty of this plant is everything from the beautiful bloom to its many healing effects.
Note: You can purchase hibiscus extract from your supermarket or health store and follow as directed.
The final word
Like I have said at the beginning of this article the hibiscus is a tropical plant that I have worked with over the years creating many pleasing designs that were full of color bringing those garden projects together and giving them that WOW. I think you should include some of them in your home garden and reap the benefits they offer.