How To Attract Chipmunks To Your Yard
Tips on attracting chipmunks to your yard
In my last article, we looked at how to attract squirrels to your garden and we also discover some fun facts about these little animals but now we turn our attention to attracting chipmunks to our yard, we will be looking at what sets a chipmunk apart from a squirrel along with some fun facts. I promise you this will be exciting.
So you want to attract chipmunks to your yard, this is a great idea because you will be giving nature a helping hand by providing a home and food for wildlife. This method of attracting chipmunks, squirrels, etc… to your yard or garden is known as wildlife gardening and as you will discover is one of my favorite garden types.
Chipmunks are considered to be rodents like squirrels which love to venture into backyard and garden areas but unlike squirrels, chipmunks don’t cause much damage, these furry little animals are also cute and can cause excitement especially among children.
In attracting chipmunks to your yard you will need the following.
- Food Source
- Water Source
Choosing the right plants
The first step in making your yard inviting to chipmunks is choosing the right garden plants, plants such as sunflowers, black-eyed Susans, coneflower will give them a real treat by providing or helping to make up their food source.
Other sources of foods which makes up their diet are bird eggs, worms, insects, small frogs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, peanuts grains, and fungi. It is also good to have grasses as they feed on the shoots. The use of evergreens, shrubs along with tall grasses will encourage them to use these as a shelter and if possible to hid if they feel threatened. Trees which bears nuts is also a good choice.
As stated earlier the use of tall grasses, evergreens and shrubs will help in providing the cover or shelter which they need in helping them to feel safe.
Besides what has been mentioned above when it comes to a chipmunk food source there is also protein block, special premium food, chipmunk happy acorn, etc which can be purchased from your garden center.
A water source
Providing water for your chipmunk friends is so important, The use of several shallow bowls of water placed near garden plants is so inviting, also the use of a birdbath has proven to be beneficial. Chipmunks will use this water not only to drink but to also take a bath. Changing the water ever so often will discourage mosquitoes from laying their eggs.
The use of harmful chemicals or pesticide should not be used as these chemicals can be detrimental to chipmunks. To control garden insect pests why not consider the use of beneficial insects which is a safe means (biological Control) of getting rid of these pests.
The predators to chipmunks
As cute and adorable as chipmunks there are many animals which are known to be their predators, these predators include.
The difference between a squirrel and a chipmunk
1. Squirrels are larger than chipmunks.
2. Chipmunks has strips whereas squirrels have none.
3. Squirrels eat fruits, nuts, insects, vegetation.
4. Chipmunk also eat plantation along with small animals.
5. Chipmunks tails are much busier than that of ground squirrels.
6. Ground squirrels have short ears which do not stick out.
7. Chipmunk has round erected ears.
Chipmunk fun facts
13 cool fun facts about the chipmunks.
1. There are said to be about 25 species of chipmunks.
2. Chipmunks can live anywhere from 2-3 years in the wild.
3. It is said that chipmunks need 15 hours of sleep a day.
4. Chipmunks are not sociable, they prefer to live alone.
5. Chipmunks can climb very well
6. Chipmunks are considered to be rodents.
7. Both parents take care of their young.
8. Chipmunks are great swimmers.
9. Chipmunks keep their burrows clean.
10. The tail of the chipmunk is very fluffy and can reach anywhere from 3 to 5 inches in length.
11. Chipmunks can store up to 8 pounds of food in their burrow.
12. The chipmunk male is called a buck.
13. The female is called a doe.
The final word
Wildlife gardening is truly amazing and will bring your garden and landscape to life, these garden types has proven to work wonders among many homeowners and will also work wonders for you so if you are interested in attracting chipmunks to your yard following these simple but yet effective steps will give you the results which will prove to be beneficial so go ahead and give it a try you will be so happy that you did.