Great tips to attracting finches
It is so wonderful to connect with nature on the great outdoors, going on nature walks is such an awesome feeling as we get to take in all the sights and sounds that nature has to offer, activities like this can be a good stress reliever as you take a break from the hustle and bustle of life and just unwind.
Going on a nature walk is also a great way to get that much-needed exercise, but what I also love about nature is that you can bring nature to you by creating the kind of environment that will attract wildlife, the kind of environment they just can’t resist. In this article, we will be discussing how to construct a garden that will attract finches as we watch and enjoy them in their habitat.
How to attract finches into your garden
You have decided to make your garden a home for wildlife but not just any wildlife but for finches which can be so rewarding as your garden is bursting with activities. Here is what you will need to have success.
1. Plants, Garden plants are so important and is one of the many attraction which will draw finches to your garden like a magnet. Plants that are bright and colorful will get the heads of finches turning, here are just a few to consider.
- Cup Plant
- Corn Flowers
- Anise Hyssop
- Brown Eyed Susan
Install these and your finches will be in plant heaven.
Tall Grass and Thistle
2. The use of tall grasses along with thistle will help finches to feel right at home.
3. Consider installing a few shrubs which act as a nesting site that will give finches such delight. Some shrubs may include.
- Wax Myrtle
4. Adding a birdbath is a must to attract finches, the birdbath should have circulating water and which is standing. Place this birdbath near garden plants, finches are sure to use this bath as a water source and to take a bath.
5. The use of a bird feeder makes a great food source for finches, The feeder should be hung in a nearby tree so finches can be safe from cats and other predators also before purchasing seeds read to ensure that the date hasn’t expired. The seeds should be fresh and dry at all times, here are some seeds which makes a good choice
- Thistle Seeds
- Millet Seeds
- Nyjer Seeds
- Sunflower Kernel
- Finch Mixed Seeds
- Black Oil Sunflower
Cleaning your bird feeder
To keep your guest healthy and happy their feeders should be clean at least once every two or two and a half weeks.
16 Fun facts about finches
1. There are more than 10 species of finches.
2. Gouldian finches are also known as rainbow finches.
3. Among the Gouldian finches, the adult male has bright purple breast features while the females are a dull purple.
4. Gouldian finches are social birds.
5. House finches are often kept as pets.
6. Finches reach sexual maturity within 9-12 months.
7. It is believed that there are less than 2,500 Gouldian finches remaining.
8. The Gouldian finches are only found on the continent of Australia.
9. Gouldian finches are said to refuse to nest or at times they will abandon their eggs and their babies.
10. Finches are among some of the world’s smallest birds.
11. Both parents will incubate the eggs.
12. The Gouldian finch needs to drink water several times per day.
13 The nest of finches is shaped like a basket.
14. Finches will build their nest in crevices of rocks, trees, or bushes.
15. The eggs of finches are pale blue.
16 Finches eggs hatch in about 13-14 days.
The final word
There are many species of finches that can have your home garden buzzing with activity and excitement, making your garden a home for finches is a great way to connect with nature and to the garden for wildlife so give nature a helping hand by providing a home for them in your backyard you will be glad that you did as you watch these amazing birds in their habitat.