Poinsettias Plant Care
It is almost that time of year again when we pull out those scuffs, mittens, coats, and boots as we sit by the fireplace sipping on hot chocolate, having parties, spending time with friends and relatives as we flock to the malls and other places buying gifts for that special one we love so dearly.
Christmas is such a wonderful occasion with all the hustle and bustle as we move about enjoying the season and all that it has to offer and oh the Christmas dinner is such a delight as we feast upon the many foods and goodies that have been prepared.
What I also love about this time of the year is the poinsettias that really drives the feeling home. This is the only time of the year when poinsettias are showcased in such a beautiful display.
Poinsettias at my former place of work
As an interior plantscape technician, we would give boxes of poinsettias to persons that worked in the office at the five-star resort where I worked and oh the excitement of those folks as these poinsettias were placed on their desk and cabinets to enjoy, those poinsettias really change the appearance of those offices as it gives that feeling of the season.
We also placed poinsettias in the lobby, walkways and other public areas as onlookers admired as they passed by. I tell you what a transformation as those areas was litten up and seemed to say Merry Christmas.
How to care for poinsettias?
What is so awesome about poinsettias is the many colours they provide. Some examples of these colours are red, pink, white, yellow and so on, my favourite colour is red what about you?
Handle with care
1. To keep your poinsettias healthy at all times there are a few things you need to know. Poinsettias are very fragile and must be handled with care. Poinsettias should be exposed to sunlight because these plants have been forced in to bloom sunlight will help them to keep their beautiful colour.
2. Poinsettias prefer a temperature anywhere from 64-75 degrees.
3. Keep the soil of poinsettias somewhat moist not waterlogged. Allowing soil to remain dry for long periods of time can have a negative effect on plants health. Also, don’t let the plant sit in water, empty the saucer.
4. You may find a few leaves turning yellow and dropping when you first bring your plant home, don’t be alarmed your plant is just adjusting to its new home or environment.
5. No need to fertilize poinsettias while they are in bloom.
6. Fertilizing poinsettias when they are in full bloom can encourage disease so wait until your plant bloom period is over to fertilizer.
7. When fertilizing your poinsettias the use of a balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 will keep your plant healthy and happy. Read and follow the manufacturers label because the label is the law.
Follow these simple steps to keep your poinsettias happy and blooming.
The final word
With the holidays just around the corner and as excitement fills the air make sure and get your poinsettias as you welcome the spirit of the season spending time with family and friends.