How to Grow and Care for Chamomile
Chamomile tea soothes the soul with every taste as it excites our taste buds. I was first introduced to this tea a few years ago by my wife since then I have heard reports from many about this wonder herb that calms the nerves putting us in such a relaxed state.
Chamomile herbs have so many benefits that it is mind-blowing which we will be discussing. Also, we will be taking a closer look at this herb that has gained worldwide recognition.
The journey of chamomile herb
Where does it all begin? I am so happy you asked. This wonder herb begins its journey In our home garden or gardens around the world where the growers of this herb know the power of chamomile.
Chamomile is not hard to grow and care for. With some insight, you will be growing your very own chamomile herb and enjoying all the benefits of this herb plant. What brings such pleasure is to be able to harvest this chamomile from your very own home garden.
How to grow chamomile
- Chamomile herb does well in full sunlight to partial shade
- Sow seeds in the spring or fall
- Seeds should be spaced 6-7 inches apart
- The soil should be a well-drain soil
- The soil Ph range should be anywhere from 5.6-7.5
- Adding organic matter will help to improve soil structure
- When watering allow the soil to almost dry out and then water thoroughly again
- Chamomile blooms in the spring, however harvesting or pruning will cause herb to bloom late
Insect pests of chamomile herb
- Insect pest can be an issue, these pests include thrips, mealybugs, and aphids. For more on insect pests and their control follow the link garden pest and pest control methods
When to harvest chamomile herb
- Chamomile can be harvested when the flowers are fully open
- Harvest in the morning before the sunrise
- Pinch the stalk just before the flower head this will cause the bloom to detach
Making chamomile herbal tea
You have harvested your chamomile herb to make a fresh brew of tea which is so delicious but what are the steps to take in enjoying this healthy delightful treat.
- Place a few of the flowers preferably 6-8 in a double folded cheesecloth with a string to make a teabag
- Add water to your teapot and bring to a boil
- Place chamomile teabag in a teacup
- Once water has boiled pour water in the teacup
- Let steep for about 8-10 minutes
- Add honey or brown sugar to season tea to your preference
- Sit back and enjoy your cup of goodness
Health benefits of chamomile herb
Here are some amazing health benefits of chamomile herb
- Helps a person to sleep more comfortably
- Aids in weight loss
- Improves digestion
- Is said to remove menstrual pain which is a plus for you ladies
- Improves hair
- Promotes healthy skin
- Promotes heart health
- Fights cancer
- Is known to boost the immune system
- Is good for oral health
- Promotes good vision
The list seems to be endless, these are just a few benefits of this herb. With this herb, you get the best of both worlds great taste besides these listed benefits.
The final word
Chamomile herbs are just simply amazing. As you can see the work is worth it, so make these herbs a part of your garden and join the thousands who are enjoying this all-natural herbal tea. Let’s get started on that garden herb.