How to Grow Lettuce the Right Way
The lettuce veggie is very popular and is used worldwide in so many cultures. This vegetable is mostly used in salads and on sandwiches. Many of these sandwiches include chicken, roast beef, turkey, tuna and hamburger sandwiches just to name a few.
Some salads that include lettuce are Garden, herb, toss and champagne greens salads etc…. But what journey do lettuce take before they reach our kitchen and dinner tables?
Varieties of lettuce
Before we look at how lettuce is grown, here are some lettuce varieties
1. Iceberg lettuce. 5. French crisp.
2. Romaine lettuce.
4. Loose leaf.
While lettuce may differ in their variety and the way they are grown, there are some basics in growing these veggies.
1. Fill seed trays with compost.
2. Water compost so it can settle and also become moist.
3. Lettuce seeds are very tiny so be careful not to lose any, add 3 seeds to each planting try spreading them evenly apart.
4. Cover seeds by adding more compost.
5. Press seeds about half- inch to an inch into the soil.
6. In a couple of weeks, seeds will germinate and be ready for transplanting.
7. Use and organic-rich soil and cultivate planting area by turning the soil with a spade shovel.
8. Plant lettuce in rows about 10-12 inches apart.
9. Keep soil moist, allowing the soil to dry out can affect the growth and health of lettuce.
10. You should have a healthy crop of lettuce in about a month which will be ready to harvest.
11.When harvesting lettuce, use a sharp knife be very careful not to cut your hand or finger, cut lettuce from the base.
Now you have freshly cut lettuce grown from your garden with your very own hands. In fact, while I am writing this article I am watching my wife prepare dinner also cutting up some lettuce to make that scrumptious salad.
Health benefit of lettuce
1. Aids in weight loss. 11. Control anxiety.
2. Lettuce also detoxes the body. 12. Helps Insomnia.
3. Promote heart health. 13. Promotes kidney health.
4. Gives healthy skin. 14. Fights inflammation.
5. Helps to strengthen bones. 15. Antimicrobial properties.
6. Aids in fighting cancer.
7. Hydrates the body.
8. Aids in good bowel movement.
9. Improves hair growth.
10. Helps to improve sleep.
Vitamins that are included are
Vitamin A, Vitamin, B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B9, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Copper, Potassium, Dietary fibre, Omega Fatty -acids, Biotin, Calcium, Magnesium, Pantothenic acid, Thiamin
The final word
This veggie makes a great choice, so make them a part of your daily intake and get on the road to good health. You will be glad that you did as you reap the benefits of all this veggie has to offer.