And inexpensive method with great results
Gardeners are finding new and inexpensive ways to get the results they want while working on a budget which I think is pretty amazing. The world of gardening is filled with so many opportunities as you let your imagination run while letting those creative juices flow getting the results that are worth our time and effort.
By thinking outside of the box we can construct a garden no matter how small the space by envisioning what we want can make a huge difference which can impact our surroundings and environment in a big way. Below we will be discussing an amazing way to garden with the help of a garden soil bag.
Garden in a Soil Bag
You decide that you want a garden so you head down to your local plant nursery to purchase a bail of soil. Returning home you proceed to open the bail of soil to get started.
You open the bag, pour out the soil and begin to sow your seeds, but do you know that another method to gardening is by installing your seeds\seedlings into that bail of soil in the bag? especially if you have limited space. Do you want to know? well here is how it’s done.
11 Steps to take when gardening from a Soil Bag
1. First, locate an area where you want to install your garden soil bag.
2. When purchasing the soil, the soil bag should be between 1-2 cubit ft in size which comes out to 20-30lbs.
3. Turn the soil bag flat on one side and with a tool that has a pointed edge poke some holes at the bottom of the bag for drainage.
4. Place the soil bag in the spot that was chosen to install your garden, this surface should be even.
5. Ensure however that this location is getting at least 5-6 hours of sunlight.
6. On the opposite side of the soil bag, cut a large rectangular shape out by removing the plastic leaving a 2-3 inch border. This cut out section should resemble a window.
7. Removing about one or two inches of the soil from the bag will help in preventing soil spillage when applying water.
8. Keep in mind that during the rainy season especially heavy rain downpour the soil bag can get filled with water causing the soil to wash out off the bag so keep a watch out for the rain and seek to cover the bag or move the soil bag to and area to protect from the rain.
9. If you are planting seeds read the package for planting depth and proper spacing of seeds.
10. If installing seedlings then get with your garden nurseryman for information on planting depth and spacing of seedlings.
11. Once seeds or seedlings are installed water thoroughly according to instruction.
1. Ensure you are always giving your plants the right amount of water.
2. The use of organic pesticides or homemade remedies is great for food crops to bring insect pests under control.
The benefits of gardening in a bag
- No need to worry about back-breaking work
- These garden types are great for those with limited space
- The plastic bag will smother the weeds growing under it
- These small garden types are easy to maintain
- Soil bag gardening can be considered as portable gardens
- No hassle just sow seeds or seedlings into the soil bag
- This garden type gives instant results (a garden that’s constructed in no time)
- These gardens are great for those who live in an apartment
- Can be placed on your balcony
- Can grow from your patio
- This way of gardening is great if you have poor soil.
Garden herbs can be grown in a garden plastic soil bag.
- Sweet Potato
The final word on how to grow vegetables in a garden soil bag
Gardening in a soil bag is that simple, you can have an instant garden with these easy but yet effective steps which will help you to reap the fruits of your labor. This type of gardening is smart gardening because you get to create an instant garden with a small investment while giving you a good return. Soil bag gardening a smart way to garden in small spaces.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.