Your Guide to Homemade Raisins
A healthy snack that’s enjoyed by kids and adults alike is raisins, I remember as a child raisins was a sweet treat that my parents would often provide for all of their kids. But how did we discover raisins or what’s the history behind raisins and how far does it date back to? History records that raisins were first discovered in dry form growing on vines probably in ancient Persia or Egypt around 2000 BC.
From that time to date, raisins are still being enjoyed by millions worldwide, infact it’s recorded that “in 2017/2018, a total of 1,218,200 metric tons, of raisins were produced worldwide”. It’s also recorded that, that figure increased to around “1.36 million metric tons in 2020/2021”. Now that’s a lot of raisins, I am sure if the ancient Persians or Egyptians were still round they would be amazed at these staggering figures.
Raisins are used in so many food recipes including drinks, snacks, ice creams, and pastries, and are a good source of vitamins and minerals, raisins are fat-free and cholesterol-free, high in antioxidants, and an excellent source of fiber.
As an Amazon Associate and the Owner of this Website, I’ve tracked down special deals for some of the products mentioned here. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you will get a great bargain. It’s a WIN-WIN for both of us
How to Make Raisins from Grapes Steps to take
- Ensure when choosing grapes that the grapes are well-ripen and sweet
- Chose the number of grapes or the quantity of your desire
- Thoroughly wash the grapes with tap water
- Now arrange the grapes on an idli plate
- Next, allow the grapes to steam for about 5 minutes
- Now spread the grapes on a tray or a clean cloth
- Locate the grapes in a sunny area until grapes are dry
- On day 1 the grapes will shrink
- On day 2 you will notice that the grapes are completely dried and have turned to raisins
- Keep your raisins open and uncovered for a day in a room-temperature area
- Now store your raisins in an airtight container
Raisins Health Benefits
- Raisins are a great source of vitamins and minerals
- Raisins are high in antioxidant that helps the body get rid of free radicals
- Encourages good eyesight
- Raisins contain iron that encourages cardiovascular health
- Strengthens your bones
- Raisins are great for brain health protecting against Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Assist in helping to prevent tooth decay
- Raisins are filled with fiber making our trip to the bathroom easier
- Promotes healthy hair growth
- Improves immunity
- Can help to control blood pressure
- Raisins are great for healthy digestion
- Treat infertility problems
The final word on how to make raisins from grapes
Making raisins from grapes is that simple this healthy snack is a real treat to kids and adults, if you are interested in making your very own homemade raisins then follow this kid. This is a great activity for kids as they are educated not only on how to make raisins from grapes but sharing with them the history behind the origin of raisins including the many health benefits that were discussed.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.