Using Spices to Promote Health and Relieve Stress
We live in a world that seems to put so much demand on us, from raising a family to working, paying bills, etc… The doctor’s office is filled every year with persons having stress-related issues that seem to be too overbearing for them. Many have turned to alcohol, prescription drugs and whatever other means they can find to bring relief.
Stress can cause all sorts of things to happen to our bodies from mental breakdown to a nervous breakdown, I have heard stories of persons being under stress and what it did to them. In fact, I know of someone who became so stressed out that they lost their mind.
Stress is also one of the reasons why many homes are torn apart, this is so sad, but stress is a real issue that must be dealt with, we cannot deny it or simply sweep it under the rug, we must face it for what it is and deal with it. Even as you drive on the streets other drivers driving in such a reckless way, this too can be contributed to stress which we call road rage.
what is, even worse is persons committing suicide seeking to escape it all simply because of feeling stress out, feeling like there is no way out of their situation.
Signs of stress
What are some of the signs to look for to tell if you or a loved one may be stressed out?
- Upset stomach
- Loss of sexual desire
- Grinding teeth
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in making a decision
- Frequent crying spells or suicidal thoughts
- Frequent headaches
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Being overwhelmed with worry/anxiety
- No interest in appearance
- Low energy
- sleeping problems
- Angry outbursts
- Muscles tension
We will stop here for now, but this list can get longer. So we can see the seriousness of stress, therefore we must find ways to deal with it or if we know of someone who has this problem to find help for them before it is too late.
Stress and gardening
With all that said what does stress have to do with gardening and how do we tie in the two?
Relieving stress with spices
Many of these spices you may be growing in your yard or it may be a friend or family member’s yard. Here are a few of them that you can try.
Spices for stress
1. Basil- Basil is a favorite and gives foods a good flavor, but do you know that basil is also used to help relieve stress.
2. Nutmeg- Nutmeg is another spice that can relieve stress, nutmeg is a bit strong so just a pinch every now and again is all that you need to give you the comfort that you are looking for.
3. Oregano- Oregano is known to treat both depression and anxiety, oregano has been also known to improve blood flow to the brain.
4. Licorice rice- Licorice rice when taken is said to help the body handle stress and calms the mind.
5. Turmeric- Turmeric contains great amounts of antioxidants which improves blood flow to the brain relieving stress.
6. Rosemary- Rosemary is rich in antioxidants which increase blood flow and reduces stress.
7. Lemon balm- Lemon balm is also a well- known stress reliever, lemon balm also relieves, anxiety, tension, and headaches.
8. Sage- Sage has also been known to fight stress.
9. Vanilla- Vanilla has been medically proven to relieve stress. Vanilla has been known to have a natural effect on the brain and nervous system.
10. Passionflowers- Studies have shown that passionflowers also relieves stress by putting a person in a calmer and relaxed mood.
Health benefit of herbs
Here are some health benefits of the healing wonders of herb just follow this link. Garden herbs, Going natural, living longer.
There is so much more that can be said on this topic and there are also more spices that you can try, going natural is a great way to relieve stress. Someone once said “do not talk life so serious”, take time out for yourself and take it one day at a time. Life was met to be enjoyed and live to the fullest so let’s ensure that we experience all that life has to offer by staying stress-free.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.