7 Ways for Weed Control
For those of us who work in our gardens, it’s a common thing to run into weeds, sometimes it seems at every turn weeds are staring us in the face. Weeds are not only unattractive but if control measures are not taken weeds will take over our gardens competing with garden plants for water, sunlight, and nutrients. Weeds also encourage disease, and certain garden pests and can be harbourage or hiding places for rodents such as rats and mice.
Ground covers also have their share of competing with weeds, once ground cover is established will give that area in which it was installed a nice spread or good coverage helping to prevent soil erosion, and reducing landscape maintenance. Helping our ground covers to thrive calls for maintenance practices that will bring control to weeds which we will be discussing. The key to weed control starts with the proper site preparation followed by putting effective maintenance practices in place to get the desired result.
As an Amazon Associate and the Owner of this Website, I’ve tracked down special deals for some of the products mentioned here. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you will get a great bargain. It’s a WIN-WIN for both of us
How to Remove Weeds from Ground Cover
1. The Use of Selective Herbicides: Herbicides are a great way to bring weed control, however, herbicides are poisonous and if used in the wrong manner or overused can cause more damage than good such as drifting to garden plants or causing groundwater contamination. Ensure that the herbicide which is used is labeled or safe to use for that type of ground cover. Before applying herbicides read and follow the manufacturer’s directions for the best results.
2. The Use of Mulch: Mulches serve so many functions, this natural organic can be also used to control weeds, inspect your ground cover, and if there are areas that are thin or thinning out then apply about a 2-3 inch layer to help to suppress weeds.
3. Why Pruning: An important practice that’s used to grow healthy plants is pruning, this procedure will help plants to thrive and encourage not only new growth that’s healthy but a fuller plant as well. As the need arises pruning ground cover that’s established will promote new healthy full growth that will discourage weeds.
4. A Tiller: A tiller can be used to work the soil eliminating weeds.
5. Hand Weeding: This may be a bit tedious but it’s a safe practice that works, ensure when pulling the weeds that you just don’t pop the head, The entire weed including the roots must be removed. A great way this method can work is to pull the weeds as soon as they emerge or are spotted. The use of a hand plow or a hoe can help. A weed seat can offer some comfort making weeding a lot easier. A trowel can also be useful.
6. Hire a professional: If you don’t have the time or if pulling weeds is too tedious for you but you have the budget to hire a professional company that offers a list of garden services including weed control then, by all means, hire them.
7. Indentify Weeds Early: Indentifying weeds as early as possible from ground cover and remove weeds immediately.
The Advantages of Ground Covers
- Suppress Weeds
- Ground covers protect the soil from drying out
- Attracts pollinators
- Ground covers will cover bare spots
- Reduce the need for using mulch
- Ground covers can attract beneficial insects
- Prevents soil erosion, especially on slopes
- During crop rotation ground covers will add nutrients to the soil
The final word on how to remove weeds from ground cover
Removing weeds from ground covers may be a task depending on the size of the area, the type of weeds, and the number of weeds to be taken out but the good news is with these methods you can regain complete control of your weed issues.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.