How To Use Hot Water For Weed Control
$aving Your Hard Earned Dollar With This Method
I believe using natural methods is always better because going natural can not only save us money but help in keeping our surroundings and environment safe from contamination.
What I love are the many ways that are being sorted out and use once proven to be effective to bring solutions to issues we may be facing. In this article, we will be looking at effective ways of eliminating weeds the natural way.
I have written several articles on weeds which you can view here beneficial weeds for your garden, soil solarization, homemade weed killer and weed control. Weeds are an eyesore and can take away the beauty of a well-designed landscape and garden.
Weeds are not only an eyesore but weeds compete for light, water and nutrients and can be a real menace to our garden plants. Weeds are also a breathing place for disease and garden insects pests so we should do all that we can to eliminate them from our gardens.
Methods of eliminating weeds
There are many methods of eliminating weeds which includes
- Chemical Control
- Hand Weeding
- Soil tilling or cultivating
Chemical Control is a method in which chemicals are used to eliminate weeds. There are many weed killers that are sold on the market from selective to non-selective, systemic to residual.
While this post is on eliminating weeds with hot water we will be summarizing some of these weed killers and other methods.
1. Selective weed killers are weed killers which can be used to eliminate weeds around garden areas that consist of non-editable plants. However, caution should be taken so as to avoid drift off as these weed killers are being applied. These weed killers are also known as contact.
2. Non-selective weed killers are highly dangerous and should only be handled by the professional that has a licence to apply this type of weed killers. These weed killers should be applied in an area where there are no garden plants only weeds. Kids and pets should not be allowed in these treated areas. Wait a few days before allowing activities in these areas. These weed killers are also known as contact.
3. Systemic weed killers are weed killers that are absorbed through the plant’s foliage (leaves) and roots and is translocated throughout the entire weeds system. These weed killers may take a while or may take up to two weeks before weeds are totally eliminated.
These type of weedkiller is best on mature grass without causing harm. weedkillers such as these can be applied to certain plants without causing harm to other plants that are in the same area.
4. Residual weedkillers are weedkillers that poison the soil, areas that are treated with this type of weedkiller which also inhibits weed seeds that are in the ground causing them not to germinate.
These weedkillers are most effective along walkways, driveways and other walking paths. Caution should be taken when using these weedkillers along plant beds. Areas that have been treated with these weedkillers should be allowed to sit for a while before replanting or reseeding.
Handing weeding has to do with pulling weeds by hand. This practice is really back breaking and hard depending on the type and the number of weeds that must be removed.
Weed hoeing has to do with the use of manual tools that are designed for removing weeds that are small. These tools are best used in garden areas to lightly tilt or turn the soil.
Grazing is a great biological control method that is used on farmland that has acres of land. The use of animals such as cows, goats and horses are used to keep weeds down by making a meal out of them.
Soil tilting or Cultivating
When it comes to tilting the soil there is also specialized equipment which can be used that involves turning the soil or ploughing the weeds under.
How to use hot water for weed control
Now we have come to the section why this post was written and that is how do we control weeds with hot water. Well first what I want to say here is using hot water is and an environmentally safe way of eliminating weeds.
But caution must be taken because you are handling hot water safety is always first ensuring that you safeguard your self from getting burnt by taking the right measures which include.
1. Make sure that the tea kettle you are using is in good repair or working order.
2. A long sleeve shirt should also be worn.
3. Long pants to protect your legs in case there is a spill.
4. Heavy duty gloves or mittens to protect your hands.
5. Closed-toe boots to protect your feet.
Put on protective clothing before removing hot water from your stove. When attempting to pour water on weeds the teakettle should be placed near the weeds and then carefully and slowly begin pouring the water over the entire weed, before you move to the next one. Before you know it you would have completed your weeding with hot water.
A word of caution here and that is don’t pour hot water on weeds that are close to your garden plants because you may have an accident and burn your garden plants in the process. Weeds that are close to garden plants should be hand pulled.
The Final weed
There you have it, it is that simple and the good news is using this method is environmentally safe and it did not cause you a dime except for a bit of your time which is worth the effort.
So consider using hot water to combat weeds the safe way which has proven to be effective in eliminating weeds which can be such a nuisance. With that said let’s get started on those weeds.