Just for kids-Plant facts
- Written by: Norman
- Category: Just For Kids Gardening and Insect adventure
- Published: September 15, 2016
Developing young minds through science
Just for kids is a web page that has been created just for kids. In this article, we will be looking at science and how it relates to us and our world. I believe that science is one way that we can develop our kid’s minds while they learn what nature has to offer and how it benefits us.
When did science begin?
Have you ever wondered where did science begin, in fact, it is believed that science goes all the way back as far as ancient Greece 460-375 BC, so we can see that science has been around way before we were born or even our Greatttttttttt, Greattttttttttt grandparents alright I know, you got the picture?
Different areas of science
The areas of science is so vast that it is amazing, so if you are ever thinking of becoming a scientist there are many areas of science that you can choose from, in fact, the field of science has been broken down into four main groups and from these groups the areas of science has been divided, here are the four groups.
- Social science
- Natural science
- Applied science
- Formal science
Branches of science
Here are two kits that will not only entertain and provide hours of fun but will also educate your kids as they explore the wonderful world of sciences. To find out more click images for details.
Here are just a few areas of science that branch from these four areas
1.Oceanography-The study of marine life and other factors that relate to the ocean.
2. Biology- The study of living and non-living things.
3. Meteorology-The study of the atmosphere.
4. Chemistry-The study of matter and the changes it undergoes.
5. Physics-The study of motion which includes energy and force.
6. Earth science-Is the study of the earth and different changes that the earth went through and is continuing to go through.
7.Geology-Is the study of rocks, what they are made of and how they change.
8. Zoology- Is the study of animals whether alive or lived one time ago, including what they eat, where they lived and so on.
9. Ecology-Is the study of how living organisms relate to each other in their environment.
10. Human biology-Is the study of humans, nutrition, medicine and how it relates to the human body.
11. Botany-The study of plant life describing different plant parts, their functions and how plants benefit us.
There is more but we will stop here.
Your kids will have hours of fun as they explore the wonderful world of science, learning while having fun. For more details click on the image
The science of biology
Facts about plants
In this article, we will be focusing on biology as it relates to plants. Botany is the scientific study of plants and persons who study plants are know as botanists. Botanists work outdoors and indoors identify new plants, they also study mosses, ferns, algae, flowering plants, large trees, and conifers.
Their study includes how plants develop and grow, and what is their effect on the environment. We have plants that we get fruits from like apples, bananas, oranges, cherries and so on. Then there are plants that do not grow on trees but in the ground such as carrots, beets, turnips, etc… these plants are known as vegetables
Then there are herbs that give our food such a good flavor like chives, basil, thyme, garlic and so on, many medications and products that we use for our bodies came from plants.
Another benefit of a plant is that plants give off oxygen, this oxygen that they give off we take in, in order to survive.
Here is a cool video that I know you will enjoy, it is a science experiment of how to change colors of a flower.
Now, this is what I call fun, It is a very neat experiment that you can try, Just ask for mom and dad’s permission, I know they would love to be a part of this project also.
Natural air purifiers
Plants serve many purposes we can benefit from, remember we eat them example fruits, vegetables and herbs, we can use them to make medicine, make furniture, build houses, Flowering plants such as roses are given on valentines day to tell that person how you feel about them
Flowers are given as a get well gift to that person to say get well soon, Plants can be used for decoration and so on, but what I want us to look at is that plants also purify the air that we breathe. Nasa did a study many years ago and discovered that houseplants take about 85% of air pollution out of the air
Here is a video that gives us some examples of plants that cleans the air that we breathe.
So as we can see plants makes a great contribution to our planet, without plants we will not be able to survive.
Here is a video on air pollution and how it is affecting our way of living. Listen, watch, enjoy and learn as much as you can.
I hope you learned a lot from that video boys and girls. That’s why it is important for us to plant a tree so that we can always have more than enough trees to clean the air that we breathe.
Fun Facts about plants
Want to have some fun, that’s great me too. In this article we will be looking at some fun facts about plants, I know you will find these fun facts amazing.
1. Plants make their own food using water and the sun’s energy, they convert the sun’s energy and water into sugar. This process is known as photosynthesis.
2. Although plants make their own food there are some plants that eat small insects like the Venus Flytrap.
3. Planet earth has more than 70,000 species of plants, now that’s a lot of plants.
4. Plants clean the air that we breathe.
5. Plants have the ability to break strong wind forces.
6. Plants can be used as a wall to screen or hide certain areas.
7. Plants can live for hundreds of years.
8. Plants give us oxygen to breathe.
9. The chocolate you enjoy eating comes from a tree that produces Cocoa beans.
10. All plants have roots in order to survive, do you know that the carrots you eat although a plant is one big giant root
11. Strawberries are the only fruit where the seeds are grown on the outside
12. One strawberry produces about 200 seeds.
13. Do you know that tomatoes are said to be a fruit and not a vegetable, now that is pretty interesting?
14. It is said that grapes were known to make wine as far back as 8000 years ago.
15. Apples float on water because they are made up of 25% air.
16. Vanilla flavoring comes from the pod off and orchid, vanilla planifolia.
17. The world’s tallest trees can be found in California, they are known as redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens). These trees are Known to grow up to 300 feet, another tree since then has been discovered and is said to reach heights of 375 feet.
18. Watermelons contain 6% sugar and 92% water.
19. A bunch of bananas growing on a banana tree is known as a hand.
20. A tree’s age is known by the number of rings that are found inside of the tree trunk.
That’s a lot of fun facts and there are even more. See if you can come up with some fun facts of your own.
Have you ever wondered about the different functions of a plant, here is a video that I know you will enjoy?
Just like our fingers, toes, foot, legs, hands, eyes, mouth, nose, ears and other body parts that have a special function so does plant parts. Each part performs a special function also.
Plants also have cells, just like our heart, kidneys, liver, lungs and so on, plants also have cells that work together to ensure the full function of plant life. Watch this video and enjoy.
Now, boys and girls, there are a lot more that can be said, but this web page is just an insight into the wonderful world not only of a plant but also choosing to become botanists or one of the other areas that belong to science.
Thanks a lot for viewing my page, I hope you had as much fun as I did, I am glad that you went on this journey with me and I will be seeing you in my next article that is just for kids, Facts about insects. Bye now.