Just for kids-Insect facts
- Written by: Norman
- Category: Just For Kids Gardening and Insect adventure
- Published: September 19, 2016
The fascinating world of insects
In this article, we will be looking and doing a bit of study of the insect world. It is so amazing how many species of insects there are on planet earth, and what is even more interesting is their numbers are staggering. But before we get into all of this fun stuff we will be looking at persons who work in this field.
Entomology is the study of the insect world and the impact that they have on our environment.
Who is an entomologist? I am glad that you ask. An entomologist is a person that studies the life of an insect which includes, and insects’ behavior, life cycle, physiology, ecology, population and Classification of insects.
1. Insects behavior-Deals with how insects relate to each other in their environment.
2. Lifecycle- Deals with the length of time it takes an insect to reach maturity to the day of their death.
3. Ecology-How insects interact with the surrounding environment.
4. Population-Deals with an individual or group of insects of the same species that inhabit a specific area at a certain time.
5. Classification-Deals with a class of invertebrates within the arthropod phylum that have a chitinous exoskeleton, a three-part body, head, thorax and abdomen, three pairs of jointed legs, one pair of antennae and compound eyes.
The science of Entomology
The facts about insects
Insects are arthropods that have three pairs of legs, a segmented body divided into three parts-head, thorax and abdomen, one pair of antennae and wings, Insects also have an exoskeleton.
Number of Insects
The Insect world is so vast that they outnumber us can you believe that. How many Insects do you think are on the planet take a wild guess?
The insect population is said to be 10 quintillion insects so we see that we are far outnumbered when It comes to the Insect population now that’s a lot of Insects on the planet. WOW.
Can you imagine us going to war with them, who do you think will win, well I think that we have the upper hand on them so don’t sweat it? Now that’s just for laughs.
Insect fun Facts
1. Insects have three pairs of legs.
2. Spiders are not insects.
3. insects do not breathe through their mouth, they breathe through their sides. They inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide through holes called spiracles in their exoskeletons.
4. Insects are cold-blooded.
5. Bees are useful to us because they produce honey.
6. Bees pollinate plants making it possible for them to grow.
7. It is believed that there are 1,900 species of insects on our planet that people use for food.
8. Insects do not have bones.
9. Honeybees have hair on their eyes
10. Only male crickets can chirp.
There are a whole lot more fun facts but we will stop here.
The final word
It is just so amazing the number of insects that is upon planet earth, many of them are here to help us so let’s do our part and give them their space as they help to bring balance to our ecosystem. You can also check out my article on plant facts just for kids where you will learn more cool stuff. Just follow this link. Plant facts. So watch and learn as we continue our quest to explore the wonderful world of nature.