Lemon Balm Tea Benefits
Sweetly healing naturally
Lemon balm herb is dated back to more than 2,000 years ago which means this herb has seen many generations. Lemon balm has a lemony taste that can flavor your foods.
Lemon balm herb is a native of northern African and southern Europe. This herb belongs to the mint family and is a perennial plant. Back in ancient times, it was believed that making lemon balm a part of your diet contributed to living longer.
Many restaurants worldwide use lemon balm herb to flavor many of their popular dishes. But besides it wonderful flavors what other benefits does this herb serve.
Lemon balm tea benefits
My personal experience
What I love about herbs is they can be included in our diet to bring natural healing. Many products that are sold on the market to promote healing have so much side effects.
I remembered sometime back I visited the doctor’s office because of an issue I was facing with my health. After the examination, the doctor when into his coat pocket pulled out a little book which he opened and begun reading.
After he read a few lines, he then prescribed my medication. I went to the pharmacy upon leaving his office and purchase this medication but before I took it I read the side effects to see what they were and to my surprise one of them was blindness.
I was so surprised at what I was reading but this is the reality of taking some medications, the side effects are so scary that’s why many people are seeking healing using natural means.
The older generations
I have heard many stories from the older generation about healing naturally. In fact, I had the privilege of learning from them and even tried some of these remedies that worked wonders, I am telling you healing naturally is a great way to promote your health. Here are the benefits of making lemon balm tea a part of your diet.
Lemon balm tea benefits
1. Lemon balm can help to promote the immune system with its antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
2. A study was done on the lemon balm herb and it was discovered that this herb can help to improve your mood while helping you to relax.
3. Lemon balm is loaded with antioxidants that helps the body to get rid of free radicals.
4. The properties that are found in lemon balm promotes healthy skin.
5. If you want to keep your blood pressure at the right level then including lemon balm in your diet will work wonders.
6. Have tension no problem a cup of lemon balm tea will help you in this area.
7. Digestive issues can be helped by using this herb.
8. Lemon balm is said to bring healing from insect bites.
9. Menstrual cramps are relieved when taking lemon balm.
10. Nausea or upset stomach can be knocked out with the help of lemon balm.
11. Because of its relaxing properties, lemon balm can relieve headaches.
These are just a few or the list of benefits that lemon balm brings.
How to make lemon balm tea
Lemon balm tea benefits
Here is the recipe for making this tea that will help you to sweetly heal naturally.
What you will need.
1. A cup.
2. Kettle to boil water.
3. A teaspoon.
5. 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon balm leaves.
6. What you will also need is a lemon to help give your tea that added flavor.
Let’s make this healthy sweet treat
1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Place lemon balm into the cup.
3. Pour boiling water into the cup.
4. Let tea stand for about 5-6 minutes.
6. Remove leaves or strain tea.
7. Cut a lemon in half and squeeze about a quarter of juice.
8. Add honey with the spoon and sweeten to taste.
Now sit back and enjoy this all natural sweet tea which is so pleasant and will promote your health.
Lemon balm vitamin content
The vitamin content of lemon balm is as followed
Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Iron, Zinc, Calcium, and Magnesium
How to grow the lemon balm herb plant
Ok after hearing about all the benefits of lemon balm I am sure you will want to grow a few of these plants in your garden.
1. Lemon balm is not hard to grow first you will need to locate an area that gets at least 6 hours of sunlight.
2. The soil should be a well-drained organic soil.
3. If you are planting several of these herbs, they should be spaced about eighteen inches apart to allow for room to grow and proper air circulation.
4. Keep soil moist but not waterlogged because lemon balm doesn’t like wet feet.
5. Using an organic fertilizer will help your plants to remain healthy.
Growing lemon balm indoors
Growing lemon balm indoors is also great, Just imagine the sweet aroma of this herb in your home.
When growing lemon balm indoors the containers these plants are grown in should be large enough for plants to grow comfortably, also an area of the house that gets the most sunlight is good to place these herbs.
Growing containers should have holes to allow excess water to drain and a saucer to collect this water. Excess water that drains into the saucer should be discarded and not allowed to act as stagnant water because this can become a breeding place for mosquitos to lay their eggs.
Fertilize your indoor herb plant with a slow release or liquid fertilizer. Triple twenty or osmocote can get the job done.
There is nothing like having uninvited guess that catches us by surprise and so it is with the life of a garden. There are many pest and disease that will seek to not only reap a harvest of our hard work but also bring destruction.
It is our job to help our plants combat these menaces so we can have nice healthy plants while reaping a good harvest.
Insects pest of lemon balm
Insects pest of lemon balm includes
- Spider mites
- Two-spotted mites
- European red mites
Control these pests with organic insecticides or a homemade mixture of garlic and onion insect spray.
To make this homemade mixture mince one medium size onion and garlic, place in a quart of water and let sit for two to two and a half hours then add one teaspoon of liquid soap and cayenne pepper.
Place in a 32 oz spray bottle and shake well. Label and store this mixture in the fridge to retain its strength.
Disease of lemon balm
Disease of lemon balm include
- Powdery mildew
- Leaf spot
These diseases can be controlled by applying sulfur. Read and follow the label when using this product because the label is the law.
When watering herbs try as much as possible to keep the leaves dry, water in the morning so leaves can dry before nightfall.
If planting more than one herb proper spacing is needed for air circulation which will also help to control disease development.
A homemade mixture of a quart of water and 1\4 teaspoon of baking soda will help plants to recover. This mixture is most effective when the disease is caught in the early stages.
When to start harvesting your lemon balm herb plant
You have planted your lemon balm and you’re ready to start receiving the benefits this herb offers.
The leaves of the lemon balm herb can be harvested once your plant has sufficient top growth. When removing or cutting the leaves make the cut above where other leaves have formed, this will encourage new growth that will give you a more fuller and healthier plant.
The final word
It is no wonder why this herb was highly prized from ancient days and have been grown through the centuries. Lemon balm is pretty amazing so whether we are using it for culinary purposes, as a tea or for medical reasons this natural healer can work wonders.
If you have not made this herb a part of your garden then I encourage you to do so. The power of lemon balm has helped many people and the healing properties of this herb are still available today so the next time you visit your nursery or garden center purchase a few. You will be glad that you did. The healing power of lemon balm herb is truly amazing.