Nutritional Benefits Of Peas
Peas and an added benefit
Here in the Bahamas one of our favorite foods is peas. Peas can and is added to many Bahamian dishes including peas n rice, peas soup, vegetable soup and so on. In this article, we will be looking at some of the peas that we use here on the island and the benefits they contain.
But before we go there what I want to say is peas and rice along with pea soup are enjoyed not only by the natives but also by the tourist that visits the island. In homes all across the island especially on Sundays and holidays,
you can find peas and rice being cooked by families on a large scale. Here are also some health facts on rice.
Nutritional benefits of peas
Pigeon peas-Pigeon peas top the list and are a favorite. You can find these peas, especially in peas and rice. I love to cook with pigeon peas because of the flavor that it gives making your rice mouth watering as you go back for second helpings.
Pigeon peas health facts
1. Aids good bowel movement.
2. Promotes good digestion.
3. Aids in boosting energy.
4. Helps to strengthen the immune system.
5. Promotes heart health.
6. Helps to promote weight loss.
7. Can help in lowering blood pressure.
Nutritional benefits of pigeon peas
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Thiamin, Copper, Folate, Protein, Copper, Potassium, Magnesium, manganese, dietary fiber, Phosphorus. Niacin and Riboflavin.
Green peas make a great choice because it can be eaten as a side order along with mash potato or added to salads, rice or soups.
Health facts of green peas
Health facts of green peas include
1. Has been known to prevent cancer.
2. Helps to promote a healthy heart.
3. Can aid in reducing cholesterol.
4. Aids in bowel movement.
5. Is loaded with antioxidants that can help the body to get rid of free radicals.
6. Controls blood sugar level.
7. Is said to be good for diabetics.
8. Helps to promote the immune system.
9. Improves the digestive system.
10. Helps improve the skin.
Nutritional benefits of green peas
Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc, Iron, Protein, Potassium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Folate, Choline, Manganese, Magnesium, dietary fiber and Molybdenum
Black-eyed peas bring a different flavor to your foods that will take it up a notch, you will really have your family and friends chewing their fingers off if you know what I mean.
Black-eyed peas health facts
Black-eyed peas health facts include
1. Promotes healthy skin.
2. Helps to lower blood pressure.
3. Improves eye health
4. Aids in improving the digestive system.
5. Improves bowel function.
6. Is loaded with antioxidants that rid the body of free radicals.
7. Is said to slow down aging.
8. Can help with weight loss.
9. Improves heart health.
10. Lowers cholesterol.
Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin K, Dietary fiber, Folate, protein, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Phosphorus, Copper, Zinc, Manganese and Thiamin
It is so amazing how small peas are, but the big punch they deliver to aid in our overall health. Let’s take advantage of these as we promote good health.