The amazing coco plum
Coco plums are truly amazing because of what they have to offer. In my last article on coco plums, we looked at the advantages of having this plant as a part of your garden feature.
you can check it out here ( growing coco plums). In this article, we will be looking at the healthy side of coco plums and how they can benefit us.
What I love about nature is that nature is considered to be our Pharmacy and not just our pharmacy but using what is available to us to heal naturally. That means no side effects only pure natural goodness.
Coco plum health benefits
Here are a few health benefits of the coco plum plant that I am sure will have you buzzing with excitement.
1. Adding coco plums to your diet can improve heart health.
2. Coco plums have antioxidants that help to rid the body of free radicals.
3. Can Improve kidney health.
4. Is good for the gallbladder.
5. Can aid in weight loss.
6. Improves eye health.
7. Improves blood.
8. Helps to reduce the risk of the stroke.
9. Improves skin.
10. Fight against macular degeneration.
Coco plum Vitamins
Coco plums contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin k, Iron, Calcium, Potassium, Protein, Dietary fiber, Copper, beta-carotene.
This small fruit can really pack a punch and help to maintain our health in so many ways.
This is nature at its best providing us with all this natural goodness to keep us healthy and happy. Give it a try, you will be so glad that you did.
One of nature’s wonders
Coco plums are one of nature’s wonders, this plant can be grown and maintained either as a hedge which is formal or informal letting it take off and grow or even as a tree.
The coco plum is a native of Florida, the Caribbean of which I am a part of and also Latin America. Coco plums are very delicious and have a sweet taste that will keep you coming back.
The international airport where I am employed has these plums throughout its landscape which I oversee. When the season comes to harvest many of the airport staff can be seen walking about in the parking lots and garden areas picking and feasting upon these plums.
Coco plums hardiness
What makes this plant so amazing is the many purposes they serve. Beside being growing for its fruits and use as a hedge, coco plums can be found along beaches and coastal areas for its ability to withstand salt sprays and high winds.
Some species of coco plums has red tips on the leaves which can be a show stopper if plants are properly maintained. The fruits of the coco plums are either light yellow-whiteish or dark purple.
Growing coco plums
1. Choose a location that gets 6-8 hours of sunlight.
3. The planting hole should be large enough so root ball can slide in easily, in other words, the planting hole should be two times the width of the root ball.
4. Though coco plums are considered to be drought tolerant it is good to keep soil somewhat moist not waterlogged or extremely wet.
5. Use of an organic fertilizer can work wonders.
Transplanting coco plum
From my experience of transplanting coco plums these plants in some instants can have a hard time bouncing back once transplanted. Care should be taking during transplanting procedures.
Remove about a third of the top growth so the plant can establish faster and keep soil somewhat moist, don’t allow the soil to dry out completely. And in short, your plant will be established.
Coco plums pest
Coca plum jelly
Coca plum jelly makes a good treat, here is how it is done. In a medium-size pot add 1 1/2 cup of coco plums, add 1 pound of brown sugar then fill the pot with water till water covers coco plums next turn on the stove.
Bring coco plums to a boil and turn down the heat, after 2 1/2 to 3 hours remove from heat and add some cinnamon. The end result is this mixture should form a light brown jelly.
Coco plums are great to have as apart of your garden feature so install some of these plants and reap the benefits they have to offer as they serve you in so many ways.
Eat your veggie is what some of us heard often from our parents because as we all know kids are hanged up when it comes to putting down their greens.
But do you know eggplants are fruits, they are botanical fruits that belong to the nightshade family and not veggie to popular belief? This is a fruit that can be cooked really flavoring your foods.
What is so amazing about eggplants is that it is a natural healer that can do wonders and benefit us in so many ways. Eggplants are our natural pharmacy that is loaded with so many vitamins.
This fruit is said to have been around for about 2000 years, now that’s a lot of years that people have grown and enjoyed eggplant being used is so many dishes.
To learn more on how to grow and harvest eggplant follow the link
Eggplant can use in stir-fry, salads, lightly steamed, grilled, Eggplant can be backed, Roasted, Stuffed, Curried, Fried. These are a few of the many ways eggplant is prepared.
Health benefits of eggplant
1. Eggplant improves heart health.
2. Help to fight cancer.
3. Aid in preventing birth defects.
4. Makes a good brain food.
5. Can help with weight control.
6. Help to improve bone health.
7. Improves digestion.
8. Lowers bad cholesterol.
9. Help to improve blood.
10. Regulates Diabetes.
Vitamins eggplant contains
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Copper, Fiber, Potassium, Foliate, Magnesium, Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Manganese, Calcium and Phosphors.
Eggplant Fun facts
1. Eggplant is not a veggie but a fruit.
2. Eggplant belongs to the nightshade family such as tomatoes, sweet peppers, potatoes etc…
3. Eggplant is 95%.
4. China produces the most eggplant worldwide.
5. The skin of the eggplant is shiny.
6. Eggplants date back to more than 2ooo years.
7. Eggplant has a bitter taste when eaten raw.
Eggplant is a fruit that can really benefit us in so many ways so I encourage you to give this fruit a try and fill up on those most need vitamins that will do your body a whole lot of good.
Growing and harvesting eggplants
Popular belief has it that eggplants are veggies when in fact it is a botanical fruit that belongs to the nightshade family of plants that includes bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and so on.
Eggplants have been dated back as far as 2000 years ago. That is a lot of years that this fruit has been upon planet earth being used in so many dishes by so many cultures worldwide. Eggplants are loaded with vitamins and have many benefits.
But how is eggplant grown and harvested before it reaches our dinner tables?.
Growing eggplant guide
1. Eggplant love warmth so it is good to plant in a sunny location.6 -7 hours of sunlight is good.
3. Eggplants can also be planted in raised beds.
4. Soil Ph should be anywhere from 6.3-6.8
5. Before planting cultivating soil so roots can establish easier.
6. Using a layer of mulch will help to suppress weeds and hold moisture.
7. These plants should be spaced about 23-36 inches apart.
8. Keep soil moist, not waterlogged.
9. Using an organic fertilizer has proved to give good results.
Pest of eggplant
Pest problems of eggplant include
1. Colorado beetles- lay their eggs on the underside of plant leaves. The eggs are yellow and laid in masses. Hand picking has proven to be effective.
2. Flea beetles- chew holes in leaves can be treated with insecticides such as neem oil, diatomaceous earth and so on or covering with floating row cover.
3. Spider mites though tiny can cause devastation to eggplants with leaves turning yellow and following off. Using an organic insecticide or spraying with water will help.
Insecticidal soaps and botanicals have proven to be effective when treating insects of eggplants
Time to harvest
Eggplants take anywhere from 1oo-14o days before they reach full maturity so this is where you get to reap a harvest of your time and effect that you placed into growing these fruits.
To ensure the time of harvesting is right eggplant should be firm, press with your finger and if a sink or indentation is made you can harvest the fruit. The flesh should also be creamy.
How to store eggplant
Now that you have harvested your eggplants how are you going to store? eggplants can be stored in a cool dry place if you don’t intend to make a feast of them in a day or two, but if the time is extended beyond two days
wrap plants in a paper towel and place in a perforated plastic bag in the fridge crisper section. This will keep your eggplants in good condition for up to a week.
For longer storage period store in freezer
There you have it, from the garden to the dinner table you have grown your own home eggplant. Eggplants contain so many vitamins and are so beneficial so give it a try, you will be glad that you did.
Growing healthy happy kids
Over the years when it came to the subject of getting a detox the focus was mainly on adults, now with the changing of times, this focus has now shifted to children also having this experience of getting a detox because our children need this also.
We live in a real world where children are also faced with the same issues such as being exposed to toxins that are being carried in the air and water also foods that are grown and produced with the use of harmful chemicals. Therefore it’s no wonder the focus has shifted to help our children live a healthier and happy lifestyle.
Detox for children
One of the awesome things about being a parent or guardian is to watch our kids grow and really enjoy their lives as children. Therefore it is our responsibility to do all that we can to ensure that this is their reality.
I have kids of my own and I remembered there were times when they were not doing so well and that was a great concern to both my wife and I but when they bounced back from those ailments it gives us such a good feeling of how important it is to ensure that our children are healthy at all times.
Medical findings and facts of children being exposed to toxins
One of the challenges of medical science and other institutions is seeking to educate the general public about toxins that are affecting our children in so many ways.
And the alarming thing is where these toxins are found. What is so scary is it has been discovered that more than 900 chemicals are used in fibers to make clothing, paints, papers, house sprays, furniture’s and so much more.
Children are more vulnerable because their bodies are still developing as they reach maturity. It seems as if we can’t get away, but the good news is there is hope as we seek to win the war on these health concerns.
Example of some of these chemicals
Some of these chemicals that may be found in our homes include
1. Nicotine. 7. Asbestos.
2. Phthalates. 8. Bisphenol A.
3. Heavy metals. 9. Ethanol.
4. Carcinogens. 10. Thalidomide.
5. Mercury. 11. Teratogenic agents.
6. Lead. 12. Endocrine Disruptors.
Detoxing with fruits, veggies, and herbs
What I love about nature is that there is an abundance of natural ways we can go about this process that will help our children to detox. fruits, veggies, and herbs are natures pharmacy that can help us accomplish this goal.
1. Garlic- is a natural purifier that can help to cleanse the system.
2. Beets– juice is great, I remembered as a child my parents gave my brother and sisters along with myself beets juice to drink. Beets purifies the blood
3. Papayas– are also great to cleanse the system, the seeds may be eaten also.
4. Apples– contains lots of fiber that can aid in a good bowel movement.
5. Lemon mixed with water helps to cleanse the liver.
6. Water– Drinking purified water helps to flush the system.
7. Coconut water– helps to keep the kidneys working at its best.
8. Apple cider vinegar– has been known to help in cleansing the system, 1 tsp. in a cup of water once a week can offer some help.
9. Avocados– helps to cleanse the liver.
10. Basils– has anti-bacterial properties along with an abundance of antioxidants that helps to rid the body of free radicals.
11. Ginger– cleanse the liver and helps get rid of waste.
12. Peppermint has an awesome aroma and a very pleasant taste. This herb can be used to fight the sore throat associated with the flu and colds. Peppermint has the ability to stop the coughs along with acting as a lung cleanser.
13.Cranberries– has the ability to fight bladder infections.
14. Pumpkin seeds– helps the body to get rid of parasites.
15. Broccoli– has the ability to fight cancer-causing agents.
16. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants that help to rid the body of free radicals.
There are so much more that can be added to this list, but by ensuring that your children include some of these in their diet can go a long way in helping to rid the body of toxins.
Another way to keep children healthy is by giving a detox bath which is pretty amazing. There are many recipes that can help with this, here is one that you can try.
Children that weights less than 60 lbs add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to bath water.
Kids that weights more than 60 lbs add l cup of Epsom salt to the bathtub.
There are so many more recipes you can try to keep your children healthy and happy. Also adding a few indoor plants around the home can help to keep the air clean.
Nasser did a study many years ago and according to that study having a few houseplant can get rid off as much as 85 % toxins by pulling them out of the air and filtering them through their root system.
There is much more that can be said on this topic that is beyond the scope of this article. This is just so you can see what we are up against and the many solutions that are at our fingertips.
Our children are our greatest investment so let’s do our part in ensuring that they remain healthy and happy at all times.