Planting A Guava Tree
Simple steps to planting a guava tree
Guavas can really excite your taste buds, This fruit has such an interesting history and has been used in many recipes including, cakes, drinks, jellies, pancakes and so on.
Here on the island, the natives take great delight in creating a dessert that is known as guava duff. This is a delicious dessert and will have you coming back for more.
Many visitors that come to the island, fall in love as their taste buds are excited by this recipe that has been passed down from generations.
But what journey do these fruits take before they grace our tables?
Planting a guava tree
I live in a tropical that has the kind of weather that is great for growing this fruit tree. As I write this article I am caring for a guava tree that is about 6ft. and even though this tree is young it has produced some delicious guavas.
1. look for a sunny location that gets 6-8 hours of sunlight, the location should also be large enough to give plant room to grow.
2. The soil of guava should be a good organic-rich soil.
3. When installing your guava tree, the hole should be twice that of the root ball. If the root ball is a foot in diameter then planting hole should be 2 feet in diameter. This will ensure the quick and proper establishment of the plant.
Take the plant out of growers pot, place in the hole, keep plant straight and backfill with soil. Firm soil around the plant to keep it stable.
4. Water plants twice a week, soil should be moist, not waterlogged.
5. Fertilize your plant once a month for the first year. Once the tree is established fertilize once every three months. Always read the label and follow as directed because the label is law.
6. Adding a three-inch layer of mulch will keep weeds down while conserving water and keeping down weeds. As the mulch breaks down it will add nutrients to the soil.
Make sure and keep mulch away from the trunk of the tree. 8-12 inches from the trunk is good.
Health benefits of the guava fruit.
Guava tree has so many benefits. To learn more about the benefits and fun facts of guava follow this link. Guava benefits and fun facts.
Growing a guava tree is pretty awesome this is a great way to take advantage of all that this tree has to offer. So why not consider planting a tree and reap the rewards for years to come. You will be glad that you did.