Staying Healthy with Prune
You have made your shopping list and of to the supermarket you go, as you walk the aisle and scan the shelves, your eyes finally see it, just what you were looking for, a nice box of sweet prunes.
I remembered as a child I spent many days feasting and enjoying the prunes that my parents brought from the supermarket. Prunes do not only make a delicious healthy snack but the benefits they have far outweigh the wonderful taste.
I also loved to crack the seeds open and eat the nut, the inside of the shell is really sweet but the nut has a bitter taste. Whenever I get the chance I still grab a few and eat them as I did when I was a child.
In this article, we will be looking at some amazing facts and benefits of prunes and what role they play when it comes to our health.
Fun facts about prunes
Here are some fun facts that I know you will find pretty amazing.
1. Prunes are plums that have been dried in the sun.
2. The nut in the seed can be eaten.
3. The inside of a prune’s shell is very sweet.
4. Prunes are very chewy.
5. The plum tree that is responsible for prunes produces up to 300 hundred pounds of fruits.
6. The plums can be also baked in an oven where they will dry.
7. Prunes have been dated back as far as 900o BC.
Vitamin content of prunes
Prunes are a rich source of Vitamins that includes
B Vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, beta-carotene, fiber, antioxidants, Calcium,
The Benefits of prunes
1. It can aid in good bowel movements.
2. Has antioxidants that rid the body of free radicals.
3. Promotes good vision.
4. It improves skin health.
5. It helps to promote heart health.
6. It can lower cholesterol.
7. Aids in weight loss.
8. It helps to keep bones strong.
9. Promotes good digestion.
10. It helps to fight osteoporosis.
If you don’t like eating prunes then maybe you could try drinking the prune juice that also has its benefits.
The final word
Prunes are so beneficial so let us take advantage of them by making them a part of our diet and receive all they have to offer. You will be glad that you did, trust me I know you will.