Seaside Vegetable Gardening, Eating Fresh from your Garden
Living on the coast is pretty amazing and has its benefits, but one of the challenges that many homeowners face is how to grow their own veggies from their home garden while having to deal
with factors such as high winds, sandy soils, and salt sprays that come from the ocean. The good news, however, is that with proper planning you can have the garden that you have always dreamed of
as you eat veggies grown in your home garden. Seaside vegetable gardening is a great way to connect with nature as you give nature a helping hand.
Steps to installing a seaside vegetable garden
1. Container gardening-Container gardening is a great way to grow veggies because depending on the size of the container you can always move plants around in an area where they are protected and then bring them out once the weather is back to normal Or you can cover them for protection.
2. Raise beds-Raise beds are also a great choice because this method like container gardening allows you to grow your veggies above the ground level. Adding compost or organic soil mix will help your plants to establish easier while providing them with all that added benefit. Also, it is easy to cover plants under high winds with all that salt spray that comes from the ocean.
3. Ground Level or existing soils-If you decide to plant at ground level you may have to do a little more work but success is still possible. Choose an area that does not get as much salt or high winds.
Provide fresh water for a week by water soil before installing plants, this will help to push any trapped salt away from the zone where plant roots must run.
Other planting tips
1. Install your veggie garden in full sunlight.
3. Adequate water is a must to keep your veggies happy.
Vegetables to plant
Here is a list of veggies that can be planted in your seaside garden.
Additional information on gardening
Garden fruits and vegetables
The final word
Seaside gardening is possible for those who live in coastal areas and desire to have a home garden where they can grow and harvest their own crops. This is a great way to garden for all
those nutrients these veggies contain. So give it a try, have a garden of your own, and grow your veggies the healthy way.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.