Starting a interior plantscape business
What do I need to have an interior plantscape business?
Startup Cost: $1000-$1500
Home Base: You can start part time and go full time once you have enough clients
Training: There are online courses that you can take, on the job training or self- taught by purchasing books
Let’s get rolling
If you love working with plants and also with nature interior plant scape is for you. I worked as an interior plantscape technician for many years and I really loved working with plants. My training came from right there on the job where I was placed with several interior plant scape technician
I enjoyed learning the many different names of plants along with how to care for them, but my greatest delight was going in different areas of the five- star resort that I worked for and create the most beautiful
As an interior plant scape technician your responsibilities include plant design, learning the different names of plants, learning their water and fertilizing requirements, knowing the differences between high maintenance and low maintenance plants, knowing which pest feeds on which plants, and identifying them so that you would be able to know what to use. Here is some additional information on interior plant scape that can also help
and what measures to take in getting rid of them, ( pesticides). Also knowing the requirements of plants as far as lighting is a concern. Example some plants survives in low to medium light while others survive in medium to high lighting and also installing and extracting plants.
1. A vehicle – Van, Truck, Jeep is good or you can start off with a car.
2. Pruners, 2 is good.
3. water jug.
4. water tank, depending on the size of job and distance you may have to travel to service each plant.
5. dusters to clean plants, 2 is good.
7. Probe or moisture meter to test the soil’s moisture to see if the plant needs water at the time of service.
Example of how this business works
If you are servicing an office building that has let’s say 10 plants and the contract is set at $15.00 per visit and it takes you about 15-20 minutes to service that office, but the contract is also set at 4 visit within that month that means you would make $60.00 for that month. Office visit once per week at $15.00 x 4 visits=$60.00 per month and if the contract is set at $25 per visit x 4 visits per month that = $200.00 for the month.
This is just an example of how it works and you can go higher as long as you can show why and it makes good business sense. Additional price can be added with additional service such as fertilizing, pest management etc… Remember the $15 or $25 includes only the basic such as watering, pruning, and dusting, the additional comes with that other add-on service.
So just use this as a guide, work out your plans and you are good to go from here and it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The amount of money that can be made is awesome.
Job opportunities are great for this type of work. Some of the places that you can get contract work are:
6. Some residential homes may also require your service
Getting set up
You will need to get
1. Your business name, Choose one that is relevant to your business and one that will cause your business to stand out.
2. Business License.
3. Business cards, flyer or if you have a budget to work with you can take out and add in the papers or the yellow pages, but if this is too costly for you then start with flyers and cards.
4. Once you start making a good salary you can create a website on a budget, of course letting persons know about your business. Advertise on facebook, youtube, and other social networks if possible.
5. Get involved in local events, that way you are putting your business name out there. Example help to sponsor an event, You can also partner with plant nurseries and local garden centers, etc….
6. wear an uninformed, it looks more professional and it lets prospects know that you take your job very seriously and also be well groomed.
7. Also, make sure and check to see if you are following all the rules and regulations pertaining to your state.
8. You may also need liability insurance, check to see if this is needed in your state with this type of business.
Being an interior plant scape design business owner can be very satisfying and rewarding. You can make a really good living based on the type of contract that you agree upon, your level of income can be anywhere from $27.000-$70.000 per year or even more.
It all depends on the amount of work that you can get and what is agreed upon by you and your clients. So if you feel like this is for you then let’s get started.