Garden Tips for Recycling aluminum foil
And just when you thought there were no more tips and tricks with using products from your cupboards or kitchen pantry comes another great idea which is not only beneficial to garden plants but will help you in so many ways. Aluminum foil has found its place in our gardens and landscapes.
No longer is aluminum foil used to wrap foods keeping them safe and warm but can really work wonders in our landscapes and garden area. Using aluminum foil is a great way to save those hard-earned dollars while giving you good results.
Below we will be looking at ways in using aluminum foil to our advantage, why should aluminum foil wrap be limited only to our kitchen area when it can do so much more?
From the kitchen to our gardens
Keeping birds at bay
1. Wildlife can be very entertaining especially as they pay our gardens a visit but suppose your fine feathered friends are making a meal out of your fruit trees how can you keep them at bay, simple cut aluminum foil in strips of 6-12 inches and attach them to your fruit tree. This will sure keep them curious and afraid of course.
Snails and Slugs
2. Snails and slugs can be a real menace by eating holes in our plant’s leaves and nothing can be more upsetting than to see your healthy plants with parts missing destroying their beauty. Placing sheets of aluminum around the base of your plants will discourage these garden pests from making a meal out of your garden plant. The use of small rocks or small heaps of soil place at each end will help to hold the foil in place.
Putting Rodents to flight
3. Tired of rodents and want to put them to flight, then measuring out and placing a sheet of foil around your tree trunk will give them an unpleasant experience as they come in contact with it.
Reflecting the sunlight
4. Placing foils around the base of garden plants will reflect the sun’s light from the ground to the plant which will increase the plant’s ability to photosensitize (manufacturing their food).
Garden insect pests
5. Placing a band of foil aluminum around your plants in their early stages will keep garden insect pests along with cutworms at bay.
As the owner of this website, I’ve tracked down special deals for some of the products mentioned here. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you will get a great bargain. It’s a WIN-WIN for both of us.
Mixing mulch with aluminum foil
6. Mixing shredded aluminum foil with mulches and placing it around the base of your plants will help to deter garden insect pests.
Helping Seedlings to Grow
7. Place aluminum foil in a shoebox or a box for that matter, next line the inside with foil by gluing or taping the foil to the box. Ensure that the bottom of the box has holes, now place your seed trays or containers in the box. The foil will reflect the sun which will keep the box warm helping your seedling.
Other Garden Tips and Tricks
Eggshells in the garden
Eggshells are great to add to your garden after you have made that scrumptious breakfast or that delicious meal don’t throw away the eggshells but use them in your garden. Some of the benefits of using eggshells in your garden are.
1. As eggshells break down, it will add calcium to the soil which is beneficial for plant growth.
2. Breaking up and adding eggshells to the garden will keep snails and slugs away. As snails and slugs come in contact with these broken eggshells the jagged edges will cut into their bodies keeping them at bay.
3. Place soil and seeds in an eggshell as a seed starter. For more on eggshells in the garden continue to this link. Eggshell in the garden.
Aspirins in the garden
We take aspirins for aches and pains but do you know that aspirins can be used in the garden also, if you don’t believe then check this out.
1. A study was done many years ago and it was discovered that spraying a solution of water and aspirins on your tomatoes and other garden vegetables will increase their quality.
2. Want your plants and cut flowers to last longer aspirins are there to the rescue.
For more on the benefits of aspirin in the garden continue to this link. Aspirins in the garden.
Additional information for a successful garden
1. keep your pruning equipment sterilized after each use to avoid the spread of possible disease.
2. Keep garden tools such as hedge shears, hand pruners, and other pruning equipment well oiled so they can keep their sharpness.
3. All grass-powered tools should be well oiled to give continual high performance, refer to the owner’s manual for proper maintenance.
4. Wear protective clothing and gear for your safety.
5. Always have a first aid kit on hand and nearby.
7. In hot weather especially during the summer months, take breaks when needed and rest in a shaded area.
8. Before using chemicals and fertilizers read and follow the manufacturer’s label because the label is the law.
9. If you need help with lifting do so, don’t attempt to left something by yourself that is heavy which can lead to injury.
10. When using a ladder to prune hedges and other tall garden plants ensure that the ladder is in good repair and have someone to hold the ladder to keep it stable.
11. Before starting in your garden get a good healthy breakfast.
12 Drink plenty of water.
The final word
There you have it, what are your thoughts? who says that aluminum has to be limited to the kitchen. We have seen how aluminum foil can be used in so many ways to keep your garden plants safe from unwanted garden pests so the next time you use that aluminum foil with the thought of throwing it away remember to recycle it in your garden and landscape areas so give this method a try and see first hand how beneficial aluminum foil is to garden plants.
About the author
Norman loves being in the garden, both at home and for his job....
he is 'Natures Little helper' being outdoors, growing his vegetables and flowers from an early age.
Now having spent over 22 years in the profession he want to give some of his knowledge to others...
his vast array of hints and tips you will find scattered over this site will help you no end growing plants in your garden.
18 thoughts on “Use Aluminum Foil In The Garden”
This was a very interesting read. Who knew aluminum foil could be so versatile? My husband and I are looking after a house for a lady for a few months. Her biggest issue, apparently, is squirrels (they will actually dig into her flower pots(!) and I think she said they get the strawberries too. Any suggestions on keeping squirrels away?
I really enjoy your articles and plan to book mark this one so I can send to the lady. She saves EVERYTHING so if she doesn’t already know about the aluminum foil she will be happy to learn about it. Thanks!
Hello, Mary Ann so happy to hear from you, aluminum is so beneficial in the garden. Some suggestions for keeping
squirrels out of your garden include setting up a feeding station from your garden with sunflower seeds and nuts, using cayenne pepper around your plants by sprinkling it, the use of products which has urine sent around your plants which can be found at your garden center, the use of chili peppers, locating a dog in that area. These are just a few of the many ideas which offer some help. Hope this helps.
Those are some very creatine ways towards using aluminum foil for our gardens. I used to send all the aluminum I used to recycling but now I am going to start recycling it myself for the sake of tending my garden.
I’ll also give this aspirin tip a try to see if it actually works. Many of my friends have suggested it in the past but I’ve never bothered to actually experiment with it.
Thanks a lot!
Hello so happy to hear from you. Aluminum foil is so beneficial to our garden plants along with the use of aspirins so happy to help. All the best to you and have a good day.
Wow! Very insightful post, I’m glad to learn more on how aluminum foil can be used in the garden. I agree with the fourth point; Base from my little experience, I always tell my friends that one of the most interesting aluminum foil uses in gardening is making a convenient sun box that helps reflect sunlight and encourage the effective growth of seedlings by providing warmth and more sun reflection.
Helpful tips you’ve got here.
Hello, Jordan aluminum foil is pretty amazing and beneficial to garden plants. So happy to help and all the best to you.
Hi! I’m really surprised how useful aluminium foil can be in our garden. I never imagined it!
I particularly like the tip in which we use aluminium foil around the base of garden plants to reflect the sunlight. Very creative indeed!
I also liked what you mentioned concerning using eggshells in our garden. From here on, both aluminium foil and eggshells will be used to boost results and keep my garden safe from unwanted garden pests. Thank you very much!
Hello Henry so happy to hear from you, it is so amazing how we can use kitchen products to boost our garden plants. I am so happy to help, all the best to you and have a good day.
Gardening is not only a good source of getting fresh fruits and vegetables but also very important for a good health. However, this is important to keep the fruits or vegetables safe to have fresh foods. Alluminium foil can be the roight source to do so that I have come to know from your article. I thought it can only be used as food warmer. This is amazing.
Aluminum foil is so beneficial and will work wonders for our gardens. So happy to help, all the best to you and have a good day.
Wow, This is nice. And very informative as well. I knew that alluminium foil is used to protect our foods, as it keep foods warm or away from external environment. But it can be used in gardening!!! This is great to know. Moreover it keeping birds, insects, rodents away. Reflacting sunlight, mixing mulch, Alluminium foil can be used in all of these. knowing these are amazing. These surely will help to make a healthy garden. Thanks to share such an informative article.
The use of foil is so beneficial in the garden that it is just mind-blowing. Again so happy to help and wishing you the best of gardening success.
So nice and informative. It seems you have researched greatly on gardening. You have gathered much knowledge about gardening. Not only that, you shared your knowledge with us that will help us greatly as gardening is not so easy to eshtablish in a great way. I liked that. Alluminium foil is very useful. And you have shown another perfect way of usefullness. Hope you to share this kind of useful articles again and again.
Hello, Harber so happy to help you and thanks so much for those kind words. All the best to you and have good day.
Everybody wants to be healthy. In that case, gardening can keeps you much healthy. But there is some lack of advantages like space, environment, etc that’s why it’s too tough to make a garden. But it will convert easily to you if you know about a portable garden. Gardening is the also source of earning money by selling flowers & vegetables. Now anyone can make a garden by the concept of portable gardening. I love this concept very much because of its huge advantages.
Thanks so much for sharing, portable gardens are truly amazing and is making its mark in so many homes. These gardens are so beneficial and do serve many puropses. So happy to help, all the best to you and have a good day.
that’s a great idea to use Aluminum foil in the garden plant. Thanks for your article because by this article I know the use of aluminum foil in the garden. The foil will reflect the sun which will keep the box warm helping your seedling.and this foil will help to keep the fruits or vegetables safe to have fresh foods.i have a garden. So now I have decided to use Aluminum foil in my garden.
It is so good to know that you have a garden because gardens can be so rewarding. So happy to help, all the best to you and have a good day.