Window Box Planting Ideas
Window Box Planting Ideas for Spring
Getting down and dirty
Spring is such a wonderful time when nature awakens from her long nap as our gardens and landscapes are painted with colours of beautiful flowering plants that give such
wonderful feelings. I have spent many days in the garden during this time of year taking in all that beauty as
I listened to the bird’s chirp flying about in the beautiful open sky or taking rest in a tree nearby, butterflies in their array of colours flying back and forth about their daily task as bees are busy flying from plant to plant.
I believe this is when nature is at her best as trees and other plants put forth new leaves and that once sleeping lawn burst out with such a beautiful green colour which seems to say I am happy that winter has passed and spring is here.
Let’s get down and dirty
In a good way, of course, this is the time when we pull out those garden tools that have been sitting so peacefully in the tool shed and head for the garden as we prepare for another season of garden cleaning and renovation.
But besides the seem old you want to do something different that will really add to the overall appearance of your garden and landscape and then a light bulb turns on. Besides working in your garden you have a great idea of installing some window boxes
that will look really amazing and will bring some much-needed change, great, but where do I go from here and how do I accomplish this?
Well look no further, you have come to the right place.
Steps to successfully installing window boxes
- The first thing to consider is the size of the window boxes which means taking some measurements of your windowsill to ensure that your boxes will fit perfectly
- Choose containers or boxes that is deep and wide enough for the plants that are to be installed. Boxes should have drain holes to allow excess water to drain on through
- Choose a good garden soil to install your plants. Garden compost is a good choice
- Choice of plants should be considered depending on the location of window boxes, whether these boxes are installed in full, partial sun or shade
- If your using hanging plants drape the plant’s runners along the front of boxes, example vines, and other trailing plants
- Taller plants should be at the rear
- Planting annuals such as begonias in the middle will give that added flavour
- When installing plants allow for some spacing for air circulation
Window box planting ideas for spring
Proper care of plants
Keeping your plants healthy at all times is a must because you don’t want to invest in a garden project such as this only to have your plants not doing well.
- Make sure to give your plants the right amount of water base on their water requirements.
- Plant nutrients are so important therefore it is good to fertilize your plants once a week with a liquid fertilizer
- Keep your plants nicely groomed by keeping them well trimmed removing dead leaves
- You may have some uninvited guest (insect pest) consider using an organic pesticide to bring these insect pests under control
Rule to go by
A good rule to go by is to talk with your nurseryman and find out as much information about the plants you are considering so you can be better informed. Just follow the guide I listed above.
The final word
Installing window boxes can really add that much need flavour to your spring garden as you welcome spring enjoying this time of year so consider taking on this garden project and bring that much need change as you connect with nature by giving nature a helping hand beautifying your surroundings.